Back In The Groove With A 1940S Actua And A 1952 Elgin Clubman

WillFly

Well, it doesn't take long for me to go a-hunting for those lovely old dials and movements. Here's a couple I picked up recently. The first one's an Actua - typical 1940s watch and a very similar dial to my 1940 WW2 Unitas. It was as cheap as chips on the Bay - £16 to buy - and that just shows you the watch snobbery of people who go purely on brand. This is a solid brass case - which I've since cleaned up with a silver cloth since photographing it - and, more importantly, it's another one with a solid ETA 1100 movement (as used in Atlantic watches and early Breitlings). Great value! I've cut the old, gunged strap off and have ordered a leather replacement from Amazon.

post-64-0-89292800-1403258143_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-10495600-1403258158_thumb.jpg

This one is a lovely 1952 US Elgin Lord Elgin "Clubman" with a great dial and a quality Grade 680 movement. Not cheap as chips... but a superb watch.

post-64-0-11727700-1403258182_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-92710700-1403258197_thumb.jpg

The Lord Elgin is interesting as it has a cap on the pallet jewel as well as the escape wheel. Signs of quality.

The curve of the barrel bridge is another aesthetic aspect of the watch that I love.

Anil

Will, you are relentless!

I do like the look of the "Lord Elgin". What I do find interesting is the older watch has a shock resistant balance and the newer one doesn't.

I suspect that the Elgin movement - though made in 1952 - is actually a much older design, and US factories didn't always use incabloc shock resistance. Which is why, if you drop a lovely old Hamilton railroad watch, for example, the balance can get damaged.

Those are nice !!

I always hesitate so much when looking at the bay, that I never get anything (and cash is a precious thing these days)... And I have to say that anything that looks like water damage, or rust, is something I try to stay away from....

A couple more disassembly/assemblies and I'll be on a serious hunt for wearable watch !

• 1 month later...