Breitling 800 case assembly

Further to my recent request for any info re the assembly of a Breitling 800 case.  I have not seen one of these before (Even after 47 years in the business!)  I have included a couple of pics.One with bezel off & another in situ. Logic dictates there should be a bezel retaining spring between the bezel & the case but the bezel has no  recess on the inside edge for a spring to sit.  I have scratched my head for a while over this.  Any advice welcome.  

.P1010033.JPGP1010032.JPG

My guess would be that the movement retaining ring that sits between the case and movement acts as the bezel retaining spring there appears to be a section cut out of it near the winding crown this would allow the retaining ring to give a little as the bezel is pressed home and grip the bezel.

I believe there should be a retaining spring that sits under the lip of the case itself and the bezel is simply seated over it.

I serviced a '64 Navitimer just this past month that had the bezel spring just under the lip of the case outside the dial.  The spring was round as opposed to the typical octagon shape.  I wish I had taken a better picture of it during assembly but you can just barely see it peaking out from under the lip of the case by the 4 o'clock pusher in this picture.

IMG_1494.JPG

8 hours ago, RyMoeller said:

I believe there should be a retaining spring that sits under the lip of the case itself and the bezel is simply seated over it.

I serviced a '64 Navitimer just this past month that had the bezel spring just under the lip of the case outside the dial.  The spring was round as opposed to the typical octagon shape.  I wish I had taken a better picture of it during assembly but you can just barely see it peaking out from under the lip of the case by the 4 o'clock pusher in this picture.

IMG_1494.JPG

The early Navitimers with beads of rice bezel used a retaing ring to hold the bezel in place later models did not.

This site has a good restoration walkthrough and explains the ring with clear photos:

https://superlativetimeblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/the-art-of-restoration/

Later Navitimer 806's had friction fit bezels and did not have a retaining ring between case and movement holder I did last night find a site with a description of the various Navitimer bezels and how they fit but I stupidly did not book mark it, I will try and find it again today.

Edited by wls1971
Spelling that would shame a three year old

52 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

I did last night find a site with a description of the various Navitimer bezels and how they fit but I stupidly did not book mark it, I will try and find it again today.

try your browser history