Fake Tag

This watch came in not working a couple of days ago post-31-0-75828600-1402863392_thumb.jpg

Inside was a very poor quality movement with no markings or numbers on it,

I noticed that a lever had broken off the left chrono button post-31-0-63980000-1402864060_thumb.jpg  

I took off the rotor & winding gears and found the broken part inside jamming the watch,

the winding gear plate also held in place the train wheels so it was a bit fiddly to reassemble as there were six pinions to locate at the same time !  post-31-0-64419100-1402864748_thumb.jpg

Assuming that a new lever wouldn't be available for such a cheap movement... the watch is now back together working minus the chrono function. post-31-0-63580000-1402865125_thumb.jpg    :)

It never ceases to amaze me the rubbish that is fitted into these fake watches. I personally would have installed the movement in my dust bin!

Well done though. :-)

Thanks Geo !  although I did think about putting it in the bin !    :fpc:

You can certainly see how these fakes get sold, can't you? Looks a perfectly reasonable Tag from the dial and casing (though I know very little about them) - and an innocent buyer would never get to see the innards.

You can certainly see how these fakes get sold, can't you? Looks a perfectly reasonable Tag from the dial and casing (though I know very little about them) - and an innocent buyer would never get to see the innards.

Very true, it does actually look quite well made from the outside, it's quite heavy and has a deployment clasp bracelet,

only when you look inside the true horror is revealed, the movement is small with a large plastic ring holding it central.

I would be curious to know what the guy paid for it ! 

In the past you can readily identify fakes as the sub dials are calenders ..day date month.

I did a double take when I saw this watch... a fake with auto chrono?? it was only after a second look that the penny dropped.. A sub dial which counts up to seven? This would be the day right? ,,, so the twelve hour subdial would be the month and the 24 hour subdial is just that... 24 hour time.

I don,t know if this is true or not but it sounds very plausible. A good friend of mine who is a retired lawyer advised that If confronted with a fake just give it back. The danger is if the client then re-sells the watch as genuine you are technically part of the fraud.

:startle:

I don,t know if this is true or not but it sounds very plausible. A good friend of mine who is a retired lawyer advised that If confronted with a fake just give it back. The danger is if the client then re-sells the watch as genuine you are technically part of the fraud.

When you say, "confronted with" a fake, do you mean that you're asked to service it? Does the act of servicing it implicate you in a future fraud? It's not quite the same as handling known stolen goods.

Just curious!

Edited by WillFly

When you say, "confronted with" a fake, do you mean that you're asked to service it? Does the act of servicing it implicate you in a future fraud? It's not quite the same as handling known stolen goods.

Just curious!

An interesting talking point when in modern day society litigation is commonplace, but I think there is probably a legal difference between repairing / servicing something that is already there and manufacturing something to be sold on as something that it is not ? :judge: