Original or Redial?

gMays

I wouldn't like to say for certain one way or the other. I'm not sure that there isn't something not quite right about the font, and the numerals look as though the printing isn't perfectly even, but these could just be down to the lighting and the photograph.

What I would say is that if it is a redial then it's an old one with a nice even patina. Redials used to be done almost as a matter of course during a service if the original was in less than great shape.

One clue that can often help is to uncase the watch and look at the dial edge. Often redials have a small "V" notch in the edge at the 12 or 3 position to help register the dial in the pad printer.

• Like 1

I would say it is a redial, and not a very good one.  As Marc has already mentioned, there are issues with the font and the indices on the sub dial have issues with spacing, in particular the 35 second one.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Redial. Print is off-center and it looks klutzy, plus Logo done by the hand of someone who'd had too much coffee. (Also,look at the 3 strokes of the III.)

...and the zero on the 60.

Having said that, because of its age, it has a certain charm and I quite like it...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I will say original because I can remember repairing many of this type of Tissot back in the 70's and early 80's.

Is there any way I could prove either way if it was a redial or not?

I would bet a lot of cash that the dial has been refinished.  Tissot is a good quality watch, and that dial is anything but.  

Here is a photo of a Tissot about the same vintage.  The dial is not identical, but look at the quality compared with the one you have.  

IMG_2804.JPG

• Like 2