Dial Feet

TimFitz

I have a porcelain  dial with a slightly bent foot, that I'm putting on an old movement. It's not bent a lot, but enough to keep it up slightly at one point on the movement. Can I pick everyone's brain on how to fix this without breaking the foot or the dial. I don't want to go after this like a bull in a china closet. It is a great dial.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Can you just file the bent foot a bit to make it sit flush. Re-bending it is a bit risky, if you have to bend it use a tube/pin vice & go very ,very gently.

I am really afraid to bend it. I have no past experience with this issue, so I felt it's better to ask more experienced in the forums what you thought before attempting anything.

As I see it you have 2 choices...leave it sticking up slightly away from the movement which will convince you you've made the wrong choice every time you look at it OR as clockboy says use a pin vice and gently straighten it so that would mean success. if it breaks you also have 2 choices. Attach it to the movement with one foot only or use a little sticky pad.

Go For It....You know you want too !!!

Edited by chrisdt
spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisdt said:

As I see it you have 2 choices...leave it sticking up slightly away from the movement which will convince you you've made the wrong choice every time you look at it OR as clockboy says use a pin vice and gently straighten it so that would mean success. if it breaks you also have 2 choices. Attach it to the movement with one foot only or use a little sticky pad.

Go For It....You know you want too !!!

Yes your right , it's calling to me "Bend Me, Bend Me, Bend Me" but I think I'll wait until I hear from a few others. Someone has had this issue & will tell me his way. Or perhaps I will have a divine revelation, It has never happened before, but , maybe it will this time?

2 hours ago, TimFitz said:

Yes your right , it's calling to me "Bend Me, Bend Me, Bend Me" but I think I'll wait until I hear from a few others. Someone has had this issue & will tell me his way. Or perhaps I will have a divine revelation, It has never happened before, but , maybe it will this time?

Small metal bent parts are a nightmare. The metal has lost a lot of its resistance, so it doesn't take much to complicate matters.

Have you considered, straightening it with a set of micro needle nose pliers, the bead and jewelery type that's used for very fine gold and silver chains, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Jewelry-Round-Pliers-PL513/dp/B000SNBC74 

From my experience with fine chains, the round nose variety are gentler.

If you can use a small flat piece of metal like a thin piece of piano hinge up against the bend, that would be helpful because you would be evenly distributing the force on the bend and it would prevent you from going too far. 

Be gentle, whatever you do and go slow, parts that size don't respond well to a lot of pressure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MilTimeCan said:

Small metal bent parts are a nightmare. The metal has lost a lot of its resistance, so it doesn't take much to complicate matters.

Have you considered, straightening it with a set of micro needle nose pliers, the bead and jewelery type that's used for very fine gold and silver chains, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Jewelry-Round-Pliers-PL513/dp/B000SNBC74 

From my experience with fine chains, the round nose variety are gentler.

If you can use a small flat piece of metal like a thin piece of piano hinge up against the bend, that would be helpful because you would be evenly distributing the force on the bend and it would prevent you from going too far. 

Be gentle, whatever you do and go slow, parts that size don't respond well to a lot of pressure.

Tried your method & I'm glad to say dial is in. Many thanks

• Like 1