watch gasket question

Hey guys I know this may be a silly question, but I have a question regarding watch gaskets. I have a Seiko Solar Chronograph that I have had for three years now and I use it for some rough work like plumbing, yard work, and anything that involves being hands on. I was wondering if three year old seals will still be ok or if I should be looking into replacing them now or in a year or so. What do you guys think? 

Only way to tell is checking the actual gasket. If it is still flexible and not deformed, a coat of silicon grease and back in the watch would be enough. Now, they are not expensive and I normally put new ones regardless when I service a watch. BTW, 3 years might still be ok but it all depends on many factors so if in doubt just check it and/or replace it. Normal use would be check after about 5 years...I do every 2 when in the watches I dive or fish with, and even less if I suspect anything or have a slight doubt...but then there is the machine to test for water resistance....

• Like 1

Thanks lads. I put silicon grease on the gasket about a year ago so I think I should be good then. I wore the watch for a swim a couple of months ago and I was wearing it today thinking about the seals. Maybe I will change the seals next year. 

2 hours ago, Seiko97 said:

Thanks lads. I put silicon grease on the gasket about a year ago so I think I should be good then. I wore the watch for a swim a couple of months ago and I was wearing it today thinking about the seals. Maybe I will change the seals next year. 

Go to a watchmaker and have it pressure tested? Then you can have some relief. And you don't have to think about it for some time? 

• Like 1

My problem is that I don't have any good watchmakers here. Most just do battery swaps. I payed  to have a watch serviced and the the watchmaker didn't even open the watch. So unfortunately I am left with myself to do the job. 

Edited by Seiko97

5 hours ago, Endeavor said:

If you, everytime you go for a swim or are near water, have to think/worry about the gasket, why not (if they, like Bob said, aren't expensive) just change it out?

How much is your "peace of mind" worth?

Because the original Seiko gaskets are made of and excellent material and will many years. Add that the original (which is always better than the generic) are difficult  to order for an individual, and can be quite expensive, at least euro 15 when including the stem gasket. So one goes swimming, and later see that no condensations, that should be enough to be relax about it.  

• Like 1