Watch repaired and set back with rattle

mispoken

I have a Momentum Vortech GMT. It is my first watch with a movement (i.e. not a digital watch). Recently, it stopped keeping time properly, and I sent it in for repair. They replaced the movement and it keeps great time now. However, it now "rattles". I'm not sure if this is normal for a watch with a movement or not. I've attached a link to a youtube video of it rattling, wondering if you could give me some insight. I can always mail it back in for repair, the turnaround time is a little slow, but they've been great so far, no questions asked. I'm also considering getting the sapphire glass put on it to avoid scratches in the future since the face is already a bit scratched. Thanks!

Link:

https://youtu.be/bCNi-9WJydo

P

This type of watch is called "analog", as opposed to "digital". All watches have a "movement".

Send it back. A quartz movement should produce no noise whatsoever when shaken,

Also, please don't be upset, I don't know how much you paid but I think that MSRP euro 285 a for quartz watch, printed index, and without any lume, bracelet or sapphire crystal is exaggerated. And their price for sapphire upgrade is also ridiculous, a flat sapphire crystal like that cost only euro 15 or so. 

Edited by jdm

So I'm clear, the watch is an analog watch with a quartz movement?  I'll send it back, the company seems to be pretty good on the service side.  I actually got this watch on sale on Amazon for $199 on "sale".  It had a rubber bracelet, which I like.  The cost for the sapphire crystal is $50.  So, all in, it'll be $250 if I have them put the sapphire on, otherwise only the initial investment of $199 is the cost I've incurred.

Thanks for the information!

P

I suppose the $50 includes labor...and yes, it is an analog quartz watch. Now, if you like it...I suppose it will be cheaper to have them service it again to get rid of the rattle and you could tell them to add the better crystal...since they are the manufacturers. In the end it will be cheaper...no watchmaker is going to charge you $20 for parts AND labor when a part is...well, $20...unless you do it yourself which is an option provided you know the specifics and have all the tools. I'm assuming it is a brand new watch and you have not much experience working on them...so it is better to go to the manufacturer or their authorized service facility for warranty work and the upgrade. JMHO

On second thought, you can complain to them and tell them it is unacceptable to have the watch back with a defect and that they should add the crystal you want for free as a customer incentive... :)

Cheers,

Bob

Yep  my thoughts too bob you don't expect something to come back from being repaired worse than when it went. A polite e-mail stating your grievances about having to return it to rectify their mistake and the costs you are incurring should give you a good case for a free crystal upgrade.

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  I will take that approach and see if I cant get them to put it in at no cost or discounted, at least.  I went back and reviewed their service form, and as it turns out, it's actually $80 for the sapphire to be put on.  Even a discount would be helpful.  Thanks!

P

1 hour ago, mispoken said:

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  I will take that approach and see if I cant get them to put it in at no cost or discounted, at least.  I went back and reviewed their service form, and as it turns out, it's actually $80 for the sapphire to be put on.  Even a discount would be helpful.  Thanks!

You can replace the crystal yourself with $20 toolset. 

Remember this is a watch repair forum!

Edited by jdm

I did as you folks recommended; I sent them a 3rd email in 2 weeks.  They finally replied with a UPS label and said the situation was unacceptable and would replace it with Sapphire glass free of charge.  That turned out well; Momentum seems to care!

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, jdm said:

You can replace the crystal yourself with $20 toolset. 

Remember this is a watch repair forum!

I don't see how that's accurate, adequate tools for this job would easily exceed the repair cost of $80 before you even factor in the crystal. Which for the record can run much much higher than $20 if it's thick and wide enough. Then you have to consider the likely scenario that the wrong glass is ordered, well most horological suppliers are trade suppliers and dont offer refunds under normal circumstances, so you could have to buy 2 or 3 sapphire glasses.

Come on, jdm, I've seem you in so many threads asserting so strongly that we're a watch repair forum, and this is true, but that doesn't justify encouraging DIY repairs in situations that make no sense, financial or otherwise.

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ishima said:
I don't see how that's accurate, adequate tools for this job would easily exceed the repair cost of $80 before you even factor in the crystal. Which for the record can run much much higher than $20 if it's thick and wide enough.

That watch has a normal 1mm crystal which is easy to replace. My first press (technically a caseback press, but I've changed many crystals with it) cost like $18, and a caseback opener is $3. If I did it, anybody can.

However my intent was to say how the manufacturer is charging an exaggerated price for factory upgrade, not that one has necessarily to DIY.

Edited by jdm

1 minute ago, jdm said:

That watch has a normal 1mm crystal which is easy to replace. My first press (technically a caseback press, but I've changed many crystals with it) cost like $18, and a caseback opener is $3. If I did it, anybody can.

So you've actually worked on this watch before? you didn't mention that.
And screw backs can reliably be removed and refitted without a case vice and only a $3 wrench? and you don't need an air bellows because it doesn't matter if you get dust on the dial and glass? and you don't need a vernier gauge to measure what glass you need? and a cheap press would never press in a glass crooked? Maybe anyone with the right advice and guidance could do it, but that really wasn't my point, it's whether they should, in this case there was clearly no reason to advise that. 

7 minutes ago, Ishima said:

So you've actually worked on this watch before? you didn't mention that.

Just look at the watch to see what is has, we are supposed to have good eyes here don't we? :)

And screw backs can reliably be removed and refitted without a case vice and only a $3 wrench? and you don't need an air bellows because it doesn't matter if you get dust on the dial and glass? and you don't need a vernier gauge to measure what glass you need? and a cheap press would never press in a glass crooked? 

You are making things more difficult than what they are. Anyway, yes I had a blower, it came from a photokit worth $5. Digital verniers same price. And in many cases casebacks can be opened with a ball of duct tape :)

Yes I love this to be a watch repair forum and not a just a "troubled owner suggestions" forum. 

Edited by jdm

Sorry JDM but I work on watches commercially, that means 100's of them pass through my hands every week and I find your assumptions that everything's always going to be fine and easy at all times, and that nothing ever could go wrong, without regard to circumstance or personal experience with that watch or the person presuming to work on it frankly laughable. I'm not trying to have a go at you, I know you mean well, but I know better, that's why it irks me to see you dogmatically try and encourage everyone to do everything, there are potential problems that can't simply be ignored with wishful thinking, and sometimes people aren't even interested in doing it themselves.

If you have a problem with these kinds of posts (god knows I don't even really like them) ignore them and move on. That's what I do. (mostly)

Anyway, I hate to derail this and rant, but I do worry someone's going to be seriously led astray. I hope you can understand my concern on some level. 

Edited by Ishima

Retail price for a typical 30 x 1mm sapphire glass:  £9.95 (plus vat where applicable and shipping).

Just for fun I did the complete watch production cost using retail prices
Titanium case: $11
Dial $5
Hands $5
Glass crystal $1
ETA 804.192 $60
Rubber strap $5
Assembly and box $13

Total $100, but in reality likely less.

Watch things are not expensive as they seem :) 

Edited by jdm

• Geo locked this topic