What to do when mechanical watch takes a fall??

italiansub

Have an eta 2824 driven watch that my 3 year old daughter tossed from the second story staircase.

On first glance it seemed to escape without harm.

Then I noticed a dial marker was loose and flying around under the crystal. Planning to open up the crystal and repair...

Also...checking through the crown positions and at first the crown just spun in all positions without hands or date moving...

But then there was a "click" and the gears appeared to engage. Now it seems to be working.

Question is .... Should I just let it be, or open up to look at it?? What would I even be looking for other than obviously broken parts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To put the loose index back you have to take the dial of. Take it to a watchmaker if you don't have the tools and equipment to check that the watch is okay? 

I think you should be very happy that the watch is alright? Could have been much worse? 

You are a lucky italian. Thats the minimum damage it could happen .

Maybe looks easy to put the dial on,even you maybe think to put just glue on it and thats it but its easy to leak the glue on the dial and ruin the watches face.

I say that if you do something wrong you will see it on the watches face every time you look the hour :(

• Like 1

How about leave it as it is if it works well now? Tinkering with it is like stirring fire with a stick...the watch will not be happy and you are risking greater damage. My take on it: take it to a serious watchmaker. Those movements are very common but parts are becoming very scarce...and therefore their prices for both fixing and/or replacing and even buying a new watch, are going up.