Pocket watch problems!

bosstaki

Hi guys, I've been working on this pocket watch for a week now & I can't seam to get it running properly! I've striped & cleaned the movement & cleaned & oiled the main spring! The watch will run for 3/4 hour then it just stops! Any ideas guy! Cheersa4202282c126de6124b6bb2a1caa1285.jpg87855c38268e9835a6ed9e1bc11091f7.jpg984a0bbc5846d7f9768dd46a4768be68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is difficult to properly analyse a fault or even getting a watch regulated without a devise to measure. Normally if a watch runs for a while before stopping somewhere is tight so it will only run on a full wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the mainspring binding in the barrel, take a look at the barrel cap to see if its marked. Pallet stones are firm and not loose. Impulse pin tight and not loose and clean not chipped, pallet fork smooth, no rough edges, balance staff good in every way, end shake right. No bad teeth in the train, no bad teeth on the barrel, barrel arbor smooth no rough edges, no wear in the barrel or the bridge or bottom plate. I see the center wheel is not jeweled, what are the pivots like? The escape wheel is brass any wear on the teeth, any rough edges. I take it all the pinions are good no sign of wear, pivots all good no wear. Have you tried running the movement out of the case. If all of this has been checked with no problems then I think the fault lies with the balance and escapement.      

• Like 1

Hi Bosstaki...I would follow oldhippy's advice..stops every 45 minutes?..It could be in the mainspring barrel ( worn arbor holes-wobbling & hitting bridge)..I would take the balance and pallet out and check the gear train by winding the mainspring just a few clicks to get the gear train moving and firstly, observe the escape wheel. One of the pivots could be bent and pinion and wheel binds. Does it stop abruptly or slow down and maybe backspin a little. Secondly, look at the other wheels do they wobble.  Have you replace the mainspring? It could be severely set. Is it the mainspring the wrong width size binding inside the barrel (no clearance)?  Good luck Bill