Hairspring attachment

TimFitz

Hi
I have a Waltham model1883 Special size 18 15 jewel pocket watch I'm working on at the moment. The roller jewel is missing so I just started to take it apart to fit one , when I noticed the hairspring wasn't connected to the collet that connects it to the balance staff. The collet is there just not attached to the spring.
I haven't dealt with this before and would like to know is it possible to connect the spring to the collet again & if so how. Or do I need a new hairspring?
Thanks for any help

SAM_1403 (Small).JPG

The hair spring is usually pinned to the collet in much the same way as it is to the stud at the other end so it's perfectly possible (if somewhat fiddly) to re-attach it. Whether or not it's a good idea depends on why it has become detached in the first place.

If it has simply become in-pinned then there should be no problem. You will need a brass taper pin, fine tweezers, a very steady hand, and the means of removing the excess taper pin once it is in place.

If on the other hand the hair spring has broken at the collet then there are two major issues to resolve.

1. You have to remove the existing taper pin and the broken end of the spring from the collet. very fiddly and you might be better off with a new collet.

2. The old hair spring is now too short. You will need to reshape the inner coil to fit the collet, and then add weight to the balance to bring the timing back into spec. You will probably need to reshape the outer coil as well to bring it back into alignment with the regulator.

Fiddle but not impossible.

• Like 3

I have been reading the Raul Horology blog with interest from the beginning lessons at his watchmaker school .

Attached is lesson 1 of assembling a hairspring to a collet and stud . 

As Marc has pointed out , it is a fiddley endeavor .

http://raulhorology.com/2012/10/the-mark-of-a-true-watchmaker-forming-hairsprings-part-1-pinning-flattening-centering-2/

• Like 1