Staking tool refinishing

TimFitz

Has anyone refinished a staking tool? Removing all the crud that has accumulated on them prior to purchase on EBAY that has left them  dull. Still a great looking tool, even without the chrome & enamel.

I didn't buy my K&D set as a decorative object, but to repair watches. Still a little more glam would be nice. Perhaps a coat of shinny black enamel, or a chrome plating sparkle, maybe both.

What does everyone think? Has anyone kitted out theirs to make it the envy of the neighborhood, or at least your best friend? Maybe some nice racing stripes, like it's going somewhere?

Let's hear it.

20160830_120625 (Small).jpg

Well Tim, that appeals to me, honestly, maybe some Geneva stripes on those would make them amazing. Only problem is that whatever you do you will be altering the tolerances and screwing up the measurements they are suppose to have. The best way is to clean them up trying not to alter them in anyway. I believe some use very fine steel wool? Not sure, there is a post about it somewhere in the forum. If the holes are plugged then you have a problem. As it is now, it looks great (from what I can see in the picture).

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Looks fantastic and I would do nothing more with it, except using it. Remember that the proper look talks to the connoisseur and all the rest (bling being the first giveaway) to the ignorant masses :) 

Actually I'm just trying to show off my hard work. I will leave it as is.