Problem Getting Balance to Spin Freely

The root of my problem is with an old Waltham Full Plate pocket watch. I cleaned it and when I lowered the balance into place it would not always spin free. This I thought that I need more end-shake with the jewels so I added paper to the balance cock plate and , although free, still will not tick. There was a moment when it did spin nicely and I have not found that position again. Any suggestions on what to do ? I know there is enough power in the wheel train so that is not the problem. I did remove and clean the jewels so that is not the problem.58a235a6b362e0ce7b21eb9276a290c2.jpg0845b6681c338ac5efd2c5020db8815e.jpg5f8ff127cb7c4353d7c68c1660d3c269.jpg

be shure the jewels are  seated properly. i have had problems with installing the same cock and balance.  the jewel on the front plate (under the dial) was loose  and the  pallet fork was hard to line up.   not as easy as the more modern pocket watch.  vinn

• Like 1

be shure the jewels are  seated properly. i have had problems with installing the same cock and balance.  the jewel on the front plate (under the dial) was loose  and the  pallet fork was hard to line up.   not as easy as the more modern pocket watch.  vinn

Seems like it's all about alignment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the pallet fork snapping from side to side when a little pressure is applied. And as clockboy says it may be way out of beat check the jewel is between the banking pins and how much did you have to adjust the banking pins even a small amount can throw the movement way out.

i like the suggestion: "let down the main spring,  remove the balance and fork,  wind it just enough to make the gears spin"".   all gears make at least one revolution.  start over from there.  beware the setting of the banking pins.  vinn

• Like 1

Is the pallet fork snapping from side to side when a little pressure is applied. And as clockboy says it may be way out of beat check the jewel is between the banking pins and how much did you have to adjust the banking pins even a small amount can throw the movement way out.

Good suggestion on the jewel position. If it is not in the Center, then I will need to take spring off the balance I guess.

i like the suggestion: "let down the main spring,  remove the balance and fork,  wind it just enough to make the gears spin"".   all gears make at least one revolution.  start over from there.  beware the setting of the banking pins.  vinn

Thanks Vin, I will try this technique and check that he fork snaps back an forth between the banking pins