Bulova 23 jewel 1956

You say you're a newbie, Mechphil.  I only recently graduated from that status.  Do you know how to let down the power of the mainspring by holding the crown and preventing the click from engaging the mainspring?  That should be the first thing you do.  When the mainspring is completely depleted of energy, see if you can wind it.  If it winds then but doesn't run, the problem is not likely to be in the stem and mainspring.  (It could be, of course, but it's less likely.)  If it still doesn't wind, then the winding mechanism is the first place to look for problems.  I am a physician by vocation and a watchmaker by avocation, but I bring some of the outlook of the former to the latter.  The most common misdiagnosis is underdiagnosis.  It may well be that your old watch has more than one problem.  Good luck!
--Eric

• Like 1

Thanks Eric I am trying to post a photo but having trouble, I removed the auto rota and gear,that was my next question letting down power from the main spring, videos of other movements a sharp tool is used to relalease a spring whilst holding the crown so as to control speed, this has a screw holding what looks like a gear break ?

Will try and load photo

I suspect that what you're calling a gear break is what is usually called a click.  The click acts as a one-way valve, so to speak, allowing the mainspring to be wound but not to unwind without driving the gear train.  The click is held in place by a screw, usually a single screw.  If you unscrew that while the watch is wound, the click will fly out of sight, and the mainspring will violently unwind.  Don't do that!

If the watch you're working on is a complete junker in which you have no emotional or financial attachment, proceed as you wish.  I doubt you'll be able to repair the watch, but the dismantling of the watch will prove interesting.  But I think you'll have more satisfaction, and you'll learn more, if you read a book (or two) on watch repair before proceeding.  

--Eric

Thanks Eric I suspected as much,Ive purchased a few books online and found the text & diagrams awful,so have relied on U-tube etc.I have tried to discover the information in relation to letting down main power on this movement but to no avail 

mechphil,, I have a few of these old bullys, (23j autos), see pic below for parts/nomenclature, just in case you need them

Bulova has very simplified numbering system for parts, so it will be easier for you to decipher what parts are called, sorry but don't have any pictures to help.

img003.jpg

• Like 1

One more thing, it might be beneficial to search out a 'donor' watch which can be used for parts, usually on the bay, problem with that is sometime you end up with two broke watches with the same issue,:angry:

I just noticed you said this was 23j, parts list above as 17j, possible rotor switch?!?

21 hours ago, Mechphil said:

Thanks Eric I suspected as much,Ive purchased a few books online and found the text & diagrams awful,so have relied on U-tube etc.I have tried to discover the information in relation to letting down main power on this movement but to no avail 

Mechphil,

The first mevement I bought to take apart was an auto with a winding fault. I quickly realised it was the wrong place to start. A few simple hand-winders help give you some confidence before moving to something more exotic.

In terms of books, I am a fan of Donald DeCarle, but I'm sure there are others. These are quite clear and explain old tools and old watches.

S

• Like 1

Thanks Dave,I have since powered down the mainspring via the clicker no dramas and looking forward to finish stripping and photographing the movement once I have some more time and 3 new watch repair books Ive ordered arrive from Amazon:)