Exact Tool for Vostok 24xx Balance Jewel Spring

12toneman

No tool that I know of.

The usual method is to get one leg under the lip, one in the gap and one on top of the lip as a starting point.

Move the leg that's in the gap along under the lip until the third leg is in the gap. The 'spring' will make the third leg stick up a bit.

The final step is to press the third leg down AND move it sideways...here's where most people start gnashing their teeth.

One trick is to turn a piece ofpegwood down so it fits the jewel cavity (inside the rim. Then you need to make a 'dish' on the end of the pegwood, this is the clearance for the cap jewel. This homebuilt tool will allow you to apply pressure on the spring and turn it at the same time. You can make another for Seiko and Novodiac shock absorbers as well.

HTH

Anil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had made one from peg wood (to the best of my abilities, tbh) and it worked pretty well. But I really wanted a proper dedicated tool for it. I've seen the tools for the seiko-style jewel springs-- would these work on the Vostok spring?   

DouglasSkinner, did you get a chance to ask your instructor about it? 

12toneman.  Sorry!  I forgot!  But I'll make a memo to myself to ask him next week.  I like clockboy's suggestion using pegwood.  If you want something more permanent you could do the same thing using a piece of wire stock.  I'm gonna see if I can make one on the lathe and try it out.  Doug

• Like 1