Advice on fitting Incabloc shock springs

I'm trying to fit an Incabloc shock spring ( 975.03) to the lower balance jewel on an  AS 1950 movement.

I've managed to replace these kind of shock springs twice before, but they took me a LOT of time and effort - I ended up building a ramp of Rodico, and sliding the spring down it. 

This one has defeated me so far. Should I be able to fit the spring with the setting in place, or do I have to push it out a little ?

I've tried it both ways, but so far unable to seat the spring properly.

1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

I'm trying to fit an Incabloc shock spring ( 975.03) to the lower balance jewel on an  AS 1950 movement.

I've managed to replace these kind of shock springs twice before, but they took me a LOT of time and effort - I ended up building a ramp of Rodico, and sliding the spring down it. 

This one has defeated me so far. Should I be able to fit the spring with the setting in place, or do I have to push it out a little ?

I've tried it both ways, but so far unable to seat the spring properly.

What I meant to add was - what is the best technique for fitting these springs

From the limited experience I have and knowledge gained, It appears that the spring is normally captive, to remove/replace the setting needs lifting/pressing out slightly to allow it to be refitted.

There shouldn't ever be a need to remove the spring completely from the setting unless it becomes damaged...

You could be lucky if you could slide the spring down standing straight up. There is usually a little slot that you could set the spring into and bend it forward. If that doesn't work you need to take the complete Incabloc out. Looks like your could be damaged a little. Maybe that is why it doesn't work. 

If you decided to take the complete setting out do remember which height it had? Before you knock it out. A staking tool is a nice tool here? 

I have a jewel press so I can get the correct depth. 

Trying to hold the spring in tweezers at just the right angle to get the hinge in the slot is very difficult. At least for me.

And they are .... springy. Good job I bought some spares.

Maybe holding them in Rodico rather than tweezers, then pushing the hinge in with a needle ?

Just needs practice I guess. I used to play tiddly-winks with cap jewels until I practiced.

13 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Trying to hold the spring in tweezers at just the right angle to get the hinge in the slot is very difficult. At least for me.

Try different/better suited tweezers.

I took the setting out, and on side of the hinge slot is damaged - which explains why I couldn't get the spring to stay in.

So I need to find a new setting - not sure what the part number is, Cousins only list the spring as 975.03. 

Movement is AS 1950

31 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I took the setting out, and on side of the hinge slot is damaged - which explains why I couldn't get the spring to stay in.

So I need to find a new setting - not sure what the part number is, Cousins only list the spring as 975.03. 

Movement is AS 1950

Check Ebay item 291826338652 for that and lots of more parts
It's a beautiful set and wold be tempted to buy it for myself but have no case to host it.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

If you go to the download section on the Cousins site you can download the inca product sheets for all the manufacturers, then look up your calibre.

inca sell a set of punches/ stakes specifically for inserting their settings but you can make do with a jewel King set if you're crafty

• 1 year later...

I know that this is a dated post, but I have run into the same problem, and felt it was a good fit in this thread.

I don't remember how it happened, but I had a spring come out very easily once I released the tangs(?). I was lucky to find it on the bench, but not so lucky to get it back in. I have no idea how it worked its way to an apparently non-repeatable angle to come out but not in. I ended up losing it while trying to refit it. I had it in position but I didn't find a way to get it to drop down where the side tabs at the back end would get into their proper location. There must have been an angle for the spring to have come out. One in a million shot that must be duplicated?

I'm loathe to press out the entire setting, and was thinking that I might get enough depth play to get the spring in position if I remove the regulator. It's an AS 1240 movement that uses the 170.03 spring. I'm pretty sure that it's a #1 type setup. Does removing the regulator ever help to fit the spring? Thanks ahead of time. Cheers.

4 hours ago, MrRoundel said:

I know that this is a dated post, but I have run into the same problem, and felt it was a good fit in this thread.

I don't remember how it happened, but I had a spring come out very easily once I released the tangs(?). I was lucky to find it on the bench, but not so lucky to get it back in. I have no idea how it worked its way to an apparently non-repeatable angle to come out but not in. I ended up losing it while trying to refit it. I had it in position but I didn't find a way to get it to drop down where the side tabs at the back end would get into their proper location. There must have been an angle for the spring to have come out. One in a million shot that must be duplicated?

I'm loathe to press out the entire setting, and was thinking that I might get enough depth play to get the spring in position if I remove the regulator. It's an AS 1240 movement that uses the 170.03 spring. I'm pretty sure that it's a #1 type setup. Does removing the regulator ever help to fit the spring? Thanks ahead of time. Cheers.

I ended up replacing the whole setting, so I'm not sure if you can fit a new spring without pushing the setting out a bit - I suspect you will have too. 

May be your spring came our because of damage to one of the hinge bits? 

Fitting these springs is one of the tasks I sometimes struggle with.

1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

I ended up replacing the whole setting, so I'm not sure if you can fit a new spring without pushing the setting out a bit - I suspect you will have too. 

May be your spring came our because of damage to one of the hinge bits? 

Fitting these springs is one of the tasks I sometimes struggle with.

Thanks, mikepilk. You're probably right, and I struggle with it as well. And yes, one of the rear tabs may have been shortened, broken off, etc. I did not notice it being asymmetrical before I lost it, but it may have been. It probably doesn't have to be off by much to have un-clipped wings.

It appears as if that's one of those videos that hasn't yet been made and/or shared on youtube. Maybe I'll give it a shot once I get the hang of it. Of course that assumes that I will. Cheers.

Oh, and by the way, in the future I will use a piece of pegwood to hold the back hinge-tab in place while I release and lift the spring. Luck, it just can't be trusted.

Edited by MrRoundel
Added pegwood and "luck" sentences.

On 1/2/2018 at 9:17 AM, MrRoundel said:

There must have been an angle for the spring to have come out. One in a million shot that must be duplicated?

Admittedly, it feels rather miraculous that I got a new Incabloc 170.03 spring in place without even removing the regulator. It was a very delicate feat, but I pulled it off. :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon: I think I developed better skills by working on the baguettes I've been working on lately. So it can indeed be done. As I said, if it found a way out, there must be a way back in, and there was. Whew! Cheers.

Edited by MrRoundel