Anyone know jewellery?

I bought a bag of oddments at a boot fair because it contained a 1970s Timex (still ticking), a Montine and and "Exactly".  Amongst the rest of the chaff was this pictured ring.

I like it and it fits (barely) my left pinkie.  But before I wear anything I want to know what it is.

Now, I know it's gold or gold-plate as my father has tested it.  But it is not marked in any way except for the "Gc" on the Onyx(?).

No, it's not bent, the rear 3/5 is chain-link.

Any help would be appreciated!

SAM_0035.JPG

SAM_0041.JPG

SAM_0042.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Not gold unfortunately. The Color is that of 22K and Guess has never manufactured anything in high karat gold, or even low karat to my knowledge. People go to the other "G" brand for that.....Gucci. Additionally, if it were gold it would definitely be hallmarked as its a modern piece not manufactured privately. Im not sure how your father tested it, but if he used the acid test, for a true reading you will have to cut into the ring with the side of a small file to expose the core alloy and place the acid directly on the cut. 

Regardless its a good looking piece so enjoy it, but alas it can't be resized unfortunately.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hi a have bunch pallets jewel here a want to replace it with a broken one how do a know witch is the entry stone or exit I know normally the exit one has a bigger locking corners ?
    • I use on of these Eclipse demagnetisers. https://www.eclipsemagnetics.com/products/workholding-systems/table-top-demagnetiser/ I got fed up with those Mickey Mouse blue things and went industrial You can pick them up on eBay from between £70 to £100. They will demagnetise anything. I mean, anything, from a hairspring to a hammer head. The table is about 5 x 6 inches. You are not going to find anything close to being this good! It will demagnetise the biggest and chunkiest of cases with the movement inside. You'll never wonder again if your demagnetiser did the job.
    • Hi Dean, The solution with the alum for the broken screw is good and is generally used by watchmakers from many years, but You have to take off ALL steel parts from the plate. In some movements, the post for the minute wheel, for example, is made of steel. Deeping partly the plate works too, but some marks may left on the line where the solution doesn't cover the plate. Heating the solution is needed to accelerate the process. With the years, a rich collection of screws gathers and then finding the needed screw is not a problem. But till then it will be helpfull if You get some assorted screws lot. The other option is making screws. This is usually for the ones with specific form and sizes that doesn't meet often. But the skill of making screws is something that will never be unnecessary
    • Haha yes you do have to reel in your bidding enthusiasm Michael. I use a " not enough time policy " to restrict myself or else known as sniper bidding. Decide what you are most prepared to bid and place it 7 seconds before the end, cross your fingers ,job done . The price paid here i would say was top  figure another day could have been $40
    • The question is did Baum and Mercier use that movement.  I know they used other ebouches. I  can't find any evidence that they didn't but that doesn't mean they didn't.