Question

HI EVERYONE ...I had a Seiko5 SNZG15K1 ...I started playing around with the regulator and bought a timegraph 1000 ... anyways as I was moving the beat lever the hairspring stopped . I removed the spring , wheel and cock and the spring was a mess. I just want to know do these watches come ready to regulate or do you have to turn the brass stay bits on the end that hold the spring ..I think that the spring jumped on mine .but at the time I wasn't thinking straight and ran to disassemble it when I should of looked a bit closer back then ..Thanks Lenny...........

19 answers to this question

You're not the chap who's selling a timegrapher together with a SNZG15 in Beckenham are you?

All you need to do is check out the photo attached. Start small, buy a couple of cheap used seiko 5's, de-case them, swap the dials and hands and see how you go.   

7s26a regulating.jpg

27 minutes ago, Lenny said:

anyways as I was moving the beat lever the hairspring stopped . I removed the spring , wheel and cock and the spring was a mess.

Seiko hairspring are very (insert "very: 5 more times here) delicate. If it is still within repair your best chance is to bring it to a watchmaker to be corrected, otherwise a new balance complete will be needed (out of stock at Cousins at this time). I understand that you are serious having even bought an expensive tool (actually a smartphone app would have been pretty much OK), but to be honest with you I strongly recommend that you practice first with junk movements before moving to the watches that you want to wear or have any value.

• Like 3

I know what I got to do , order a new hairspring balance and try and install it to the cock ... I got to buy an electron microscope now ....Yea I'm the guy in Beckenham ...if I don't sell it quick im gonna have a go ..

In this thread, Steven has a good suggestion for regulating a 7S26/7S36. I've given it a try and while not perfect it's a good start, especially if you have a timegrapher for fine tuning - I don't yet :-(

In this picture it looks like the regulator pin might snag the hairspring when moving the reg arm , is this just a locked gate and the hairspring rides inside so you can regulate without pulling or deforming the HS..... ??

pic0031.jpg

4 hours ago, Lenny said:

In this picture it looks like the regulator pin might snag the hairspring when moving the reg arm , is this just a locked gate and the hairspring rides inside so you can regulate without pulling or deforming the HS..... ??

Good picture. No snagging unless you exaggerate rotating. For a beginner it's better to leave it. Discussion:

• Like 1

Well I sold the timegrapher and am bowing out of this hobby , I should have persevered . I could of bought another movement from cousins and swapped it over or try to transplant the balance assembly .. But it's gone now ..At least I know how mechanical watches work ......lol...............

• Like 1

I bought another watch and Timegrapher ,, I regulated the Parnis power reserve and landed on a magic spot , it's running like a Quartz... I can't beleive it ... ..makes it all worth it ..It helps that it hacks so having the balance wheel stopped is a lot less distracting for newbies..When the Seiko stopped I was pushing the beat lever so I think the balance jewel ended up on the wrong side ,, the wheel stopped dead and wouldn't move ..I didn't realize a bit of beat error is acceptable ...

Edited by Lenny
  • Like 1

• Similar Content

• By CharDav
      Hi All
      Any ideas how I can improve the look of this calendar ring?
      The staining seems to have got underneath the lacquer.  I've not tried anything yet as I'm a little hesitant at using any liquid on it for fear of damaging the lacquer further.  i'm still learning...
      Many thanks

• By richiesgr
      Hi
      I've tried to service a tiny Seiko 2601 Automatic movement very small for me (18 mm)
      So I finished  yesterday all was ok I've rewinded and I was happy because the balance started I've not checked amplitude or precision (for me just ticking it's already something)
      Today I check and the watch have stopped and do not restart even when I rewind manually. 
      Now when I put the main spring back in the barrel I've broken the end part at the opposite side of the pinion it was like a V because I don't have a main  spring rewinder so I make it manually (Shame on me).
      So I suspect that the main spring is not clamped in the barrel and it's just spinning inside without giving any power to the movement.
      The question is what method can I use to check my assumption. Not forget It's an automatic movement.
      Thanks  
    • By RNS
      Good day all,
      I'm a recent 30 year retiree and elected to start cleaning some of my older watches that ended up in a box wrapped in a towel.  One in particular, a gift from my grandfather, began working with a new battery but the crystal appears foggy.
      I would appreciate specific instructions for removing the stem/ crown and cleaning the crystal from an 1980 Seiko with the 6030A movement.
      Thank you in advance.
      Regards,
      Rick

• By DanteFalcioni
      I recently purchased what I call a “Franken-watch” Seiko from a seller on eBay from India. As I’m sure many of you know by now there are hundreds of listings (see screenshot below) for cheap Seiko watches with weird dials, most likely repainted. They aren’t fully “fake” as most of them come with genuine Seiko movements. My Retro Watches has a good video where he looks at a watch he bought from a dealer similar to this if you’re curious, see link below.
      https://youtu.be/G_m4b3OBEMI
      Anyways I thought one of these cheap weird watches would be a fun one to play around with as my first project, and I paid $20CAD for mine which I thought to be good especially if the movement inside was genuine Seiko. First problem I noticed was the bracelet (which was cheap and terrible) was held in by shoulder-less spring bars which would be fine if the lugs had holes but they do not so I had to saw the bracelet off so I could put another one on (see wreckage below). There’s more but I won’t bore you too much..
      MY MAIN PROBLEM:
      The watch came with a Seiko 6349A (23J) movement which is a variation of the Seiko 6309 (17J) movement. The movement was held into the case only by the crown (see pictures below) and didn’t have a movement ring. As I understand this is bad because the movement isn’t securely held in the case by anything. I’ve tried to find one on eBay but I’ve had no luck, and I can’t find anywhere that has the ring size so I can’t try and find an aftermarket one. 

Does anyone know where I can get one of these movement holder rings? Is it even possible to get one off of CousinsUK or Esslinger or somewhere? Do any of you have one I could buy? I am very stuck and any help is greatly appreciated!