Rolex Oyster perpetual dial discoloration

This is a watch of my fatherinlaws. He has had it for about 17 years. He had taken it to a local jeweler in August 2007 to be serviced. When he got it back there was a small streak down the dial that he had assumed it was from over oiling and so he took it back to the servicer who then sent it off supposedly to rolex to have a new dial installed. Possibly unrelated a couple of years ago the dial started to discolor. As you can see in the picture between the markers it has started to darken. What has caused this and is there anyway to fix the existing dial or does it just need replaced?6671cd14e9d8cf23ef3cb4bc04ff5246.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they really change the dial?

It could be the person who serviced it in 2007 sent it to be fixed (non-rolex shop) and the lacquer has gone 'off '? Rolex would not just swap a dial for you, they will do it as part of the overhaul package. The price your father-in-law paid should reflect that.

Just my thoughts.

Anil

• Like 1

Hard to say without a before and after picture.

Though I've never ever had a clean watch dial turn into something like that. I've only seen vintage watch dials turn that colour, and it takes 40 years plus in the sun.

It's unlikely from the oil. Could be a bad reaction to some dodgy cleaning fluid maybe?

Bit of a mystery to me for a watch that isn't that old. 

What I do know is that it can't be fixed. You can only get the dial restored or find a replacement dial, and that'll cost you quite a bit on top, wouldn't be worth doing if I had it, as you'd likely lose more money doing it up rather than just selling it as is.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, AndrewK said:

Late to conversation - but if anyone comes across thread....I have same/similar Air King, 2001ish.  Search same discolor issue.  Has not been serviced/opened up, so that's not the issue.

Whatever the cause, there is no easy fix. Your watch is recent, you may send it to Rolex for an estimate.