Glass question

I will try and make this brief.

someone in my town posted on Facebook that they were selling their dads watch making equipment. I jumped on it to have a look. Turned out their Dad has passed on and they are selling everything for a child's hospice in Scotland.

there was a load of stuff, I was in heaven. I bought what I could afford and advised a bit on some of the more expensive stuff.

some of my purchases included glass / crystal removal and replacement equipment.

my M Lacroix needs a new glass as it is looking imperfect around the edges (it is 20 years old)

i am not sure wether to lift it out or press it out. To be honest I do not know what the glass is made of.

would anyone be kind enough to give an opinion please, it would be most appreciated .

Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Reveil

it also begs the question about whether a glass would be obtainable from the likes of cousins also?

image.jpeg

If you have one of these you can remove the glass. I expect as its domed it is plastic or a type of, I wouldn't think its glass. In my days there were two types of domed low and high. There is a link somewhere with video on this forum that I put up from youtube showing you how to measure for a new glass. If you don't have a tool for removing take the movement out and just push it. But you will need this to put it back or at least watch glass fitting and removal tools.

s-l225.jpg

Some times with the tool that is pictured low dome glasses can be a bit hard to pick up. The tool I had was like in the picture an expensive type not one of these cheep Chinese things you can pick up for £10 on ebay

I would always take the movement out if changing the glass.  Gives a chance to give the case a good clean with soapy water and a toothbrush.

This one looks like it might be a sapphire crystal with a ring seal. With the movement out a plastic glass will normally push out with thumb pressure. Omega has a video on their website showing a sapphire crystal being removed with a hammer :startle:

S

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StuartBaker104 said:

This one looks like it might be a sapphire crystal with a ring seal. 

Given that the crystal has nibbles at the edge, I agree with you Stuart.

A press and dies will be the order of the day for fitting a new crystal.

16 hours ago, Geo said:

So will the cheap Chinese one. ;)

I wouldn't know. I've heard about these cheep Chinese tools and never had any I could only comment on the type that I had and used. I also asked what type of glass it was as I couldn't tell from that photo.