Identity fraud

I thought I might share with you guys a con/fraud that is happening.

Identity fraud can happen to anyone as my wife found out to her cost a couple of days ago. We received through the post an Xbox game that we had not ordered. My wife telephoned the sender which was a branch of the Littlewood's catalogue empire “Very”.

After a long conversation the orderer had used my wife's name, address & date of birth. However they used a different email address & mobile telephone number.

The con/fraud is once the account is set up a small item is ordered & sent to the persons address who has had their identity copied. Then the fraudsters hope the receiver does not contact the seller. Then they order a very large item such as a TV, Computer,Watch etc BUT either change the delivery address or elect to pick up the item from one of the many stores that offer pick such as Tesco/Asda etc.

The unlucky person who has had their identity copied gets the invoice & the fraudster gets the item.

My wife has had to get her credit rating checked & register with CIFAS. This means that if anyone tries to use her identity again to set up an account/credit card extra checks are now in place to trip the fraudster up.

So be warned if an unexpected item arrives in the post send it back after contacting the seller.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jdm said:

Please tell how is that the items are being shipped before being paid?

Or it is that they have got the credit card details? If si what about mc or visa SecureCode.

Thats how some catalogue companies trade. i.e. I know there is a company called "jacamo" who also works with this method off trading. 

Let's say this company delivers goods without previous payment and without thoughtful verification of the buyer's identity. That is, they are negligent in conducting business. Not only they can't expect to get any money from the the victim, but they may be actually liable for the any damage and cost incurred by him/her.

The account has been opened using fraud which is a crime. The goods are being taken without payment which is theft which is a crime. Why the police don,t get involved is strange. All they have to do allow the big purchase to see who picks it up or where the new address is but perhaps it's easier to let it ride.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.