Pinged an end jewel....what now?

So, I've just pinged the lower balance jewel from a Peseux 7066 acrooss the room. Can't find it (I'll keep looking)

How do I go about finding a replacement? Buy a bunch of jewels, and hope one fits? Buy another movement and hope it has the right jewel?

What would the experience among you suggest?

I had the same thing happen to me with a Longines movement.  The cap jewels were clear (as opposed to pink) and one went missing when I soaked them.  Faced with he same question as you I went with the most economical solution which was a second hand movement.  I did consider a bulk set of jewels from a supplier as that seemed the only other option without the jewel in hand to measure for dimensions.

The bonus to getting a second movement is that you'll have other replacement parts available in the event something else crops up.

I should point out however, that rubies fluoresce under UV light.  I have a strong LED UV flashlight at my desk for those occasions where a jewel is dropped on the desk but out of sight.  It's saved me once already.

• Like 3

Yes, it's the lower incabloc jewel. £12.75 is more than the watch cost (£11)

Where can I get a cheap set of jewels?

It measures about 1mm. I know .90mm is too small, and 1.15 is too big. 

4 hours ago, ftwizard said:

this is the price for the complete bloc, may be you can buy only the cap jewel

from a junk movement with the same incabloc

8 hours ago, ftwizard said:

Well, even if the watch cost that much, it's likely worth more once serviced. I have 4, 1mm cap jewels, so you can have one. Postage to London (I don't know where you exactly are), is around $3

I also have 1.1mm cap jewels, so I can give you a 1mm and a 1.1mm.

• Like 1

I doubt it will ever be worth more than I paid for it, but it was my own stupidity that caused the issue and I will fix it.

Thanks for the offer of the jewels, very generous, but I think I'll keep a look out for a scrap movement, that way way I'll know it's the right jewel, and I'll have a spare movement as well.

Sweep and sweep...get a small dustpan and scrutinise the dust with a loupe.

Put the watch away...you'll be surprised that the jewel will show up when you're working on something else.

I keep a 'missing-person's' list on my desk...this is so I when the broom turns up an unexpected part I'll have some idea of which watch it comes from...

Anil

• Like 1