My first attempt at Hamilton watch cleaning and assembly

I want to think that I will enjoy this new hobby of mine but I must say this first attempt of a total tear down cleaning and re- assembly has been arduous at best! I lost a number of screws throughout the process because they would fly out of my brass tweezers when I was working with them. I spent the time to find them and continued on with the process. Had a hard time reassembling the watch. The largest metal plate that has four stones it it was difficult to reposition. But I got it done. I installed a small brass lever backwards and could not get the crown post back into the movement. So I studied more images and realize that I had flipped the brass lever. I now have the watch reassembled and I am able to adjust the hands without any problem, however, I am having a problem winding the walk. I was able to wind the watch completely , one time, but since then it doesn't want to engage so when I turn the crown I noticed that it is spinning freely, completely freely. I am wondering if I bent the little brass lever when putting it in backwards?

image.jpg

"brass  tweezers and  stones"  congradulations  for having the guts for " total  dissasembly".  i would guess you have had  good experience as a mechanic.   but,  the abliity to  hold a very small screw in steel  tweezers is  mastered by experence.  try it,  walk   around  the  shop with a very  small part in tweezers.   good show !!  and welcome to the forum.  p.s.  i use  plastic tweezers  for a battery change,  brass would be good.     vinn

I am still practicing with cheap or low-end movements before touching the big ones. Now i dont have the issue with organizing parts or loosing screws ^_^

The brass lever is for the second stop. You could wind it up with or without that installed.

Edited by szbalogh

If I shake the watch, I can engage something inside, once in a while and get the watch to wind....  I took the back off and pressed lightly on that brass piece.  Thought that that helped engage the gears...

bobm12 , I think you are correct about the crown wheel.  I had it in, upside down.  I replaced it last night.  The Watch is letting good time.  I will try winding it in a little while.

By the way, I received a used copy of The Watch Repair's Manual.  4th Edition...

My next watch will be a Seiko Automatic that has a 7006A movement...  I took out apart weeks ago.  Need an exploded view to help in reassembly!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Triacon
Typo