Since starting my adventure in to horology, I have noticed that there are so many different brands being offered in the marketplace today. Two of the local manufacturers/assemblers in Detroit area are; Shinola and Detroit Watch Company. Shinola offers a variety of styles and straps with Swiss quartz movements, ( they call them Argonite, really it's a Ronda) while DWC is an independent design engineer providing Miyota and Sellita autos in what could be called really stunning case/dial/hand combinations. I have been to the Shinola factory and whilst it was an adventure in discovery, I left with a lack of passion, i.e. mass produced product and upscale price. DWC on the other hand commands higher price because of the overall finish and 'market' of automatic movements. So I thought I'd throw this one out to you all and see what watch guys, ( who work on them) would prefer. I am not taking sides on either product. You be the judge and consider all the pros and cons of owning either. I think the Shinola case/strap combos are unique, DWC has edge in overall reliability and style. Hmmm. my own brand with the best of both....

http://detroitwatchco.com/

http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches.html

Hey Wille,

I had a look at both companies, and I am very impressed with DWC's tribute watch to the B24.

B24.jpg

That looks like a nicely made case with an attractive dial and hands, and has a 7750 movement to boot.  For under $2000 that is a very sharp price when you consider many other companies charge upwards of $6000 for the same specs and finish.

I'd never buy a quartz watch, so the DWC would be my choice, should I have to have one or the other. For a similar price in the UK I can get a Christopher Ward - English small make with a Swiss auto movement - which is very similar to the DWC.

Cheers,

Will

Really it's just a matter of what your really looking for. Personally I prefer quartz in a wrist watch. If I was looking for something a bit special I wouldn't be happy with a Ronda movement, it would have to to be an ETA. That's my own personal choice. So if I were you I would go with the DWC.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, jdm said:

I think WD doesn't really want to buy either one. That would be my choice as well.

you are correct jdm, both too expensive for what your getting, I read news article that president Obama presented a Shinola watch complete with presidential embellishments to PM Cameron on his trip to UK, rumour has it that Cameron replied, sorry but I don't wear quartz!:D

I read news article that president Obama presented a Shinola watch complete with presidential embellishments to PM Cameron on his trip to UK, rumour has it that Cameron replied, sorry but I don't wear quartz![emoji3]

Then Barack would have been right saying. .. you can't tell **BLEEP** from shinola!

• Like 1

As a side comment, I don't know if it is me, but the name Shinola doesn't inspire me at all! I don't doubt they may be good watches and, gosh, they are made here in old USA, but why that name?...or am I missing something?

2 hours ago, bobm12 said:

As a side comment, I don't know if it is me, but the name Shinola doesn't inspire me at all! I don't doubt they may be good watches and, gosh, they are made here in old USA, but why that name?...or am I missing something?

14 minutes ago, digginstony said:

If WD is not restricted to either brand. At the price these manufacturers are asking, he has a lot of choice. A very high quality Seiko could be had or a very decent used Omega

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

bobm12,  you remember shinola shoe polish?  your not missing a thing, they may be assembled in Detroit, but cases and rest of lot is from elsewhere, except I heard they're making their own dials now.  I asked if an auto mvt was in future when I went to factory and reply was "considering automatic", (that was 4 years ago),  it's marketing at it finest, seen them on the bay and clist for half of msrp, (gently used) so bling would be correct statement. They are assemblers more then manufacturers.

digginstony, I would have a used Omega, and or top end Seiko auto before either, but I'm not trying to compare to buy, (sorry for not being clear on that) just demonstrating how just about anybody can throw together some parts and if sales are there, make some money. I don't know that either brand is sustainable in the long term. Except that DWC has less capital invested and he is probably buying whole movements, then adding dial/ hands/ and casing them and pressure testing. Ton less overhead. Shinola has two new full assembly lines, guessing $400K each.

• Like 1