Watch Running Fast?

I have a Ladies Tissot 709 running a bit fast.  Must be that new Cyclone Hairspring they installed.  :blink:

Take heart friends.  On your worst days you probably aren't capable of this!

IMG_0388.JPG

Wow.

I remember years ago I caught a hairspring on the centre wheel when taking the balance out and it caused the same issue.

Luckily it was a watch where I could purchase a balance complete so I dodged a bullet.

@Mark that's exactly what happened in this case.  I'd been flicking screws all morning with my tweezers and decided to grab the balance cock screw with a little rodico instead.  When I lifted it away, the entire assembly came with it.  (sigh)  Live and learn.  Luckily a scrap movement was readily available.  It's nice to know I'm not alone when it comes to monstrous errors.  Hopefully I've set the low bar early in my career.

My rules of watchmaking have thus been reordered:

1. You are stronger than you think you are- go slowly.
  2. You are dirtier than you think you are- wear gloves.
  3. Never, ever remove a spring without a peg wood in one hand!

@Cad101, I did get it flattened again but it would have had to re-space the coils from the inside out!  I decided to move on from that point.  I've fixed a few hairsprings that were in a bad way but not every singe coil in a hairspring.  It never would have run right I'm sure.

On 4/23/2016 at 7:25 AM, oldhippy said:

What happened?

Caught the balance on the center wheel when the balance cock was pulled away.  Learned a new lesson too- move slowly!