seastar seven problems

i've been corresponding with another forum member about this watch. i just received it in the mail yesterday. it is a real beauty. the listing said that it ran smoothly and the owner wore it the previous week without issues.

i opened the package and inspected the watch. it was not running and i thought it odd because it is an auto and usually they are moved around enough during shipping to keep them wound. anyway i wound it manually and nothing happened. the hands turn smoothly and the day and date change as they should. but here's the odd thing: the second hand does not move at all. i've shaken the watch, flicked it, adjusted the time....nothing. usually one can get the second hand to move at least one or two indices. this will not move at all. it's almost as if the escape wheel is being blocked with something. i checked for interference with the other hands - there is none. this watch acts as a perfectly running watch ought to. the day and date change perfectly.

it is a front loader and i don't have a crystal lift to take the movement out to inspect it. to be fair, the seller said to return it and he will refund my money or he will fix it (watch repairer for 26 years) and return it. i really like the watch and would like to own it. and, i have no reason to believe that he sent it off in a nonrunning condition.

my question is: what are the opinions as to what would cause a second hand to not budge at all? not even vibrate when i flicked the case?