Bergeon Case Knife ? possibly not

Vich

Whilst looking at the Bay I came across this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391408533598

Now the item in question comes from China apparently, the initial picture  is pretty ordinary - Watch Knife 1.jpg

But the surprise comes in the next picture - my curiosity got the better of me as I have not seen a clone like this sporting the actual name it seems to be illegal if not genuine. Perhaps I have wasted £4.95 but I just want to see it up close.  Or are Bergeon sub contracting to the worlds largest steel producing nation now - the accredited version of this item sells at around the £20.00 mark though I have not shopped around.  Wouldn't care I don't even need another case opener but the folding penknife may be handy - boys and their toys!

Cheers,

Vic

Case knife 2.jpg

with the quality of that printing, i'm going to go with replica!

I have quite a few of these collected over the years and they are always useful. I like to keep them in various states of sharpness. E.G. I have one that I have sharpened almost to razor sharpness with a very thin edge - very useful for opening gold case snap-on backs. I have another which I have made extremely dull which is better for thicker steel snap-on backs. I have another I use for taking off watch straps.

And another I use for cutting slices of apple when I need too :D

• Like 4

Hi Mark,

I am still recovering from the beer festival last night and my bay browsing was probably ill considered anyway.

I agree, definitely dodgy, will probably turn up with rust spots but curiousity got the better of me.

Apples eh !  I think you use them to make Cider.

maybe it will be worth the £4.95 I have paid after all.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

I still have one of my case knife openers and mine has Zenith on it  same colour same fittings mine was free because we stocked Zenith watches. smiley-face-laughing.gif

Lol. Yes. Like my Rodania one. My oldest and most favouritist. :)

8e8434e0c55fa140c890912ab6f34173.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would advise that the knife has arrived and I am quite pleased with it - especially at that price.  there is something odd about the packaging though as you can see it did not arrive from PRC but from Zurich ? Postage was free as well.

The knife has no identifying features but is solid enough to do the job well and looks like anodised steel. 

IMG.jpg

Cheers,

Vic

i was reading an article the other day which really p*****d me off.

About pocket knives of which I have a large collection. For years I've carried a small Victorinox whenever leave the house and wouldn't be without it.

Another Swiss brand is Wenger but I just assumed that Victorinox were better.

It now appears that they are both made by Wenger. So much for my Victorinox obsession.

To add insult to injury I found out that Bergeon knives are also produced by Wenger and badged to suite but still with Wenger on the knife blade.

I found that my Omega case opener carries the Wenger name and trade mark.

I would say that any Swiss made case opener will be made by Wenger and any without the Wenger trade mark will be from China or similar.

So much for the wonderful Bergeon brand. Do they really make anything themselves. :mad:

Edited by Alaskamick