Restoring Vintage Remontoir 15 Rubis Pocket Watch

I very recently was given a vintage Remontoir Ancre Levees Visibles 15 Rubis BREVETE Silver Pocket Watch, year 1906. I want to restore this watch and the first step for me is to clean it up. I need some suggestions on cleaning the case (silvo perhaps) and real help in restoring the Face Plate. This watch does work but only the second hand moves and the hour hand does not; and the minute hand fell off.

6d2084ec33cdc08e1f9d55773797d334.jpg734588689f383e395f505a060f42c690.jpg26a3ddaf1ffc8504bacb7fb89917ae2c.jpgbb6fdacc2254883292f9af63d9bfe83a.jpg77e16af9fd65eae5d6b1fd1fa2700d42.jpg837f612d3823e5bd0ac41bb69ffd0a46.jpg

From Canada

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

It does`t look like enamel. To me it looks like paper or tin.

+1

Ouch. The paint is in very poor shape; the protective layer over the paint seems to be gone.... Not sure what you can do without destroying the paint. It almost looks like it got wet at some point and the oxydation/mildew really did a number on the surface and the ink just disappeared.

Ask a pro if he/she can do something about it.

• Like 2

If that is  enamel you can clean it in soapy water. If it's painted like frenchie says then the only way is a proper dial restorer.

This is an old piece that is Silver and heavy. The numbers do look like paint. It is German made but with Italian wording on the inner movement cover. I may just try and get the yellow out of the crystal and leave it vintage?? ef90f03f4f186918f77b278552e057f5.jpg

I beg to differ with you and agree with oldhippy : if it's really a 1906 watch, the plastic glass is not the original...

And the wording on the inner movement cover is french [emoji6]

ffaa3acd9675c163d434453374466eb6.jpgd22686d2a1f25e002307482ba11245de.jpg1888baad77a398471a65cb102a0b88ae.jpg

Here is the crystal. Just feels like plastic...however I am no expert.

Ancre a French word which refers to a mechanical detail about the watch movement, that it is equipped with a lever escapement. Levees Visibles also refers to a mechanical detail, that being the escapement bridges are arranged in such a way that you could see the lever. These details were important to customers in the early era of mass-produced watches, and are commonly seen engraved on the cases of Swiss watches produced from the 1870s through the 1920s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I beg to differ with you and agree with oldhippy : if it's really a 1906 watch, the plastic glass is not the original...

And the wording on the inner movement cover is french [emoji6]

As well, if you look at the movement cover it says "Milan 1906"

Btw. I was born in France and am half French Canadian and half Swiss, although I speak crappy French and crappy Swiss German. You would easily mistake me for an American. Just a note. And I really do appreciate the advise as I continue to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk