Remove Extra Links From Tag Heuer Link Band

stevegnh

Hi All,

I've scoured the internet and been unlucky in solving this question for myself. Then I found this forum, and I always find they are terrific resources.

Anyway, I have a 10 year old Tag Heuer Link automatic chronograph watch. I love it, but in the last year, I've lost a bunch of weight, and it's way too big now. I have removed all of the easily removable links (where you can slide the pins out), but even with all of them out, it's too large and can spin around on my wrist. Is there any way to remove two more links, one from each side? Is this something that requires custom work for a jeweler or someone to drill them out or something? I love the watch but don't wear it much because it's so loose.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

That's a nice watch and good quality pictures Steve.

I don't think there is an easy way of removing these links, I think the ends of the pins are welded to the links, hopefully someone can confirm this. The links that you need to remove would have to be destroyed by grinding the welds away before the pins could be knocked out.

I may be completely wrong, and would like to here another opinion.

None of the links on that model of tag have a split pin/pin or tube, etc, they're all fastened inside of the link itself, you punch out the pin and remove the tube securing the bracelet to the clasp, on whatever side you wish to adjust, one side of the first exposed link will slide off, then a screw is exposed you have to undo that screw and take each link apart individually. 

Ah I see, Chainstay beat me to it, with helpful videos as well. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

Oh man, now I remember! Call me D-U-M-B. I totally forgot how the Tag band was setup. Once you mentioned the screws Ishima, it all came back to me! The band is infinitely adjustable, not a certain amount of links. I just pulled our one link, and increased the micro adjust on the clasp out one, and it's perfect. I love tihis watch, but since losing 50 pounds, it was fitting any more and I've been bummed. One thing though, that I never got, was that little screw on the tube. Seems like you don't actually have to unscrew it, as the link just comes off it. It's slightly larger than the tube itself. I don't know, but they are all like that.

The only other thing that bugs me is since the last service, I noticed the crystal isn't laying flat. It's raised on one side, and flush with the bezel on the other. I've thought about buying a watch repair glass press, to push it out, put a new gasket/ring in, and press it back in, but I'm wondering if I'm better off just getting a watch repair place to do that. You can kind of see it, but not sure it would show in a picture.

• Like 1