Chronographs

chadders1966

Hi

I posted a while ago asking for advice on buying a chronograph to take apart and learn on. Well I ended up going for quantity rather than quality and got the attached 3 inexpensive ones instead. Photo was taken on my phone so a bit fuzzy sorry.

On the left is a really good condition used Poljot 3133, similar to a Valjoux 7734 I think. Then in the middle is the oddest one, I can find out very little about it. It's an AATOS DismasSSB automatic 3 register chronograph that I bought new for less than £100. The best I've been able to find is that it is a Chinese factory copy/clone of the Valjoux 7750 (or 7753 given the subdial placement). Lastly there is a new Alpha Daytona Paul Newman. I slightly regret buying this as it is so obviously an homage watch - not a fake as it is clearly branded Alpha, but it is also clear which watch it is meant to remind you of. Mind you, plenty of other, better known watch brands do the same. It has a Sea-Gull ST1903 movement with the slightly pointless 3rd 24 hour dial. I should have spent a bit more money and bought the 1963 with the 2 registers instead. The movement is Sea-Gulls version (legitimate I think) of the Venus 175.

So there you have it. I now have 3 mechanical chronographs, none of which I know anything about, nor do I have movement holders for any of them, and I know nothing about taking them apart, dealing with pushers, chrono hands etc. What should I do now?

post-373-0-57453300-1454836563_thumb.jpg

Purchase a copy of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complicated-Watches-Their-Repair-Donald/dp/0719800900 and read it, also watch as many videos on the subject you can find, then.................enjoy yourself!

Don't forget to wright a report on your progress in the "walkthrough" section when you get started.

PS nice watches! :)

Thanks George

I've actually got a copy of that and have read it, but will need to read it again and more slowly. I've read posts before, from yourself and others, about it being important to have the proper movement holder with pushers for working on chronographs. If the AATOS is based on the 7750/7753 I could get one for that I would think as you do see those for sale. Cousins has a A*F plastic one for around £25, I wonder if that would be good enough, or if I should look for a metal one? And where would I find ones for the other two? I don't think I have ever seen one for either the Poljot or Alpha, or the models they are based on.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I'm very interested in hearing from you about how it all went, even the part of the holder which I still don't have since I don't work much on chronometers, just light stuff.

About the pushers, there are different solutions, including the pressed on and the screwed on. Some come with "C" or similar clips and some don't. You will know what type is in each of your watches as you go along if the study of the case -- and experience -- doesn't give it up. In my mind it is a short, interesting and careful learning curve but once you have it, there is nothing to it.

If you have any questions I'm sure me or any of our knowledgeable members will be able to help.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1