New To This Forum

I just wanted to introduce myself and would like to thank the site admin for starting this forum!  I have literally been alone in the dark for a while now in regards to watch repair discussion/chat and am glad you all are here!  My first name is Jeff and I have been a watchaholic since birth, lol.  I cannot tell you how many watches I have in my collection but it is well over 100 total from luxury brands such as Rolex to your vintage Elgin;)  

So typically, would we just share our questions here or projects too for discussion?  If so, I can start with my 1942 1 Jewel Swiss movement.  She runs beautifully after I preformed a recent service but the timegrapher displays NO DATA and keeps cycling to "AUTO DETECT BEAT RATE",  What's strange is that it keeps prefect time, the hairspring is perfect and I have checked ALL parts twice just to be sure there is nothing wrong.  The amplitude will display briefly and will read between 170 and 213.  Any thoughts?  This is probably an easy one for you all since I've only been into watch repair for about 6 months, lol.

post-1795-0-12839300-1454512583_thumb.jp

Thanks very much Bob!  Nice to hear that there are gurus here that are willing to help!!!  (means the world to me)

Just to add:  I'm wondering if it could be endshake or possibly something is "rubbing" in there.  Also, with 1 Jewel, the tick itself is quite audible...could this throw off a timegrapher? (escape wheel looks good, not worn)  Currently, I am doing the "manual test" for 6 days in 6 positions....so far, it's doing very well keeping time and ticking along;)

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

I have had the same problem with several watches and the Timegrapher, one I couldn't get a sensible reading so I pulled it down and serviced it, checked every thing out - put it on the Timegrapher the same result, + 700 sec BE 8.1, didn't matter where I moved the stud it didn't change the BE and the further I retarded the rate the faster it went.

Gave up on the Timegrapher and set it by guesswork as I used to do before I got the timing machine, continued the reassembly, when completed I timed it with a chronograph and it looked OK , now on test over extended time.

As I said I have had a couple that that happened with, I think there must just be something that confuses the Timegrapher with some, 

Max

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. I'm retired and have been for a long time. The movement is a pin pallet and not jeweled I'm wondering if that might have anything to do with what is coming up on your timing machine,it might be picking up the interference of all the action of the movement.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Jeff. Sometimes with my timographer (1900) I have to turn the sensitivity to it,s minimum because there is too much noise such as pin lever movements. The other issue is if the watch is way out of beat it can not register a reading but it sounds like this is not the case.

I presume it performs OK with other watches.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks so much for these responses, you guys are awesome!!!  I'm using the 1000 model and didn't even think of turning down the sensitivity!  I'll certainly give that a shot this evening:)  But, as Ausimax mentioned, it could just be "timegrapher confusion".  So far, she is within +/- 15 sec/day but in most positions and when wearing it, it's only off by a few seconds within a 24 hour period.  

@oldhippy - Your theory could also be correct, which would easily throw the timegrapher off.  I'm in my mid-30's and enjoy every single moment of watchmaking.  I've been collecting timepieces since as long as I can remember and am not your typical 30 some year old, lol.  This MUST be a good thing since I know no one else near my age that works on watches;)

I also recently purchased 10 OEM NOS movements, all the same type and size with one Jewel.  They should arrive today, I'm excited to see what the timegrapher shows with these even though they ALL need a servicing BAD:)

Edited by jeffc83