Which Mainspring To Chose?

rogart63

I am about to fix a Omega 552 movement. I think the mainspring is broken? Everything moves but it doesn't wind up . Have looked on cousinsuk . There is an original omega 552 mainspring costing 35,75 + shipping and taxes. And there is cousinsuk generale ressort mainspring costing 11,95 + shipping and taxes . Is there any benefit or chosing the more expensive Omega spring . Or any other thing why i should chose the Omega? If the owner will pay of course . Watch is a nice vintage SM300 . 

I'm not much into servicing omegas yet but I'd say there is graphite in that barrel, probably Moebius 8301 if I venture a guess (or maybe Kluber Chronogrease which is a dry lubricant on a carrier base). But, yeah, it needs a good clean and relube. Show us the end result rogart and how you managed with the GR spring!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

I'm not much into servicing omegas yet but I'd say there is graphite in that barrel, probably Moebius 8301 if I venture a guess (or maybe Kluber Chronogrease which is a dry lubricant on a carrier base). But, yeah, it needs a good clean and relube. Show us the end result rogart and how you managed with the GR spring!

Cheers,

Bob

I like Omega .They are so well built . Agree with you there it looks like graphite. I will probably go for D5 in the barrel? I am thinking of doing a little how to take apart and assemble the reverse parts? 

I don't think D5 is a good idea for the barrel walls, roger! I would probably do some of the Moebius 8200 type of barrel grease or the same 8301 (or 8302, depending on the barrel material, or simply 8300). I'd use D5 for the gear train and on the barrel arbor (outside the barrel), PML for the stem, 941 for the pallet fork jewels and 9010 everywhere else where a light oil is needed, including the balance jewels, etc. You can get away with 9010 in place of 941 since it is low bit otherwise you should use 9415...Just MHO.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 3

I don't think D5 is a good idea for the barrel walls, roger! I would probably do some of the Moebius 8200 type of barrel grease or the same 8301 (or 8302, depending on the barrel material, or simply 8300). I'd use D5 for the gear train and on the barrel arbor (outside the barrel), PML for the stem, 941 for the pallet fork jewels and 9010 everywhere else where a light oil is needed, including the balance jewels, etc. You can get away with 9010 in place of 941 since it is low bit otherwise you should use 9415...Just MHO.

Cheers,

Bob

I think that Watchguy is using D5 for mainspring? But i will order some 8217 . But maybe i will go for 9010 on the pallet jewel . I will see what my wallet says :) 

Thanks for the feedback Bob 

Hi Rogart,

I go with Bob's suggestion of using one of the Moebius 8300 oils. I have done a couple of my own Omegas and have used 8300 for the mainspring with no problem. The D5 I have used only for the barrel arbor, but I have switched to using Bergeon KT22 grease (No. 2588-50). Hope this helps.

JC

• Like 2

Looking at the way your mainspring was lubricated it almost looks like a Seiko as they are suggestions that they lubricate their mainsprings with graphite.

Then for automatic watches you really should have one of the special lubricants for the barrel wall. This is so that the mainspring will slip when it's supposed to and not slip when it's not supposed to. If you use the wrong stuff it will slip prematurely. Then conceivably something might hold too tight not let the spring slip that is equally as bad as it screws up timekeeping. So the link below talks about the various types of Lubrication for the barrel wall.

Then Moebius 8200 Is your classic mainspring grease or slightly heavier 8300.

http://hiro.alliancehorlogere.com/en/Under_the_Loupe/Klueber_125

Video that shows what happens if the mainspring does not slip what it's supposed to. Then that white lubrication is a Rolex product that we are never going to get called TEPA Grease. It's described at the above link in case anybody's curious about what we can't have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KNTrHVD088

• Like 2

Cheers,

Bob

Bob interesting choice of lubricants particularly the PML For stems? I'm curious as to where you purchase that as I was under the impression it had been discontinued?

Bob nice to see that it's actually available. The last time I asked at the material house I normally do business with they thought it had been discontinued. Then for everyone else it's known as PML w-10 and it really is an outstanding grease for all the winding setting parts in a watch and sometimes I use it on the mainspring barrel arbor.

Excellent John, I'm glad and good side note! I didn't know the w-10 part...too lazy to read the whole label I guess! :) And yes, I do use it in the winding setting parts too. not just the stem proper. I'll try it on the mainspring barrel arbor next time!

Cheers,

Bob