Winding Mechanism Stiff

Hello and Happy New Year everyone, hope it's a good'un!

Just wondered whether anyone could offer a suggestion as to what to do about a problem I have.

I have built up the ladies Bentima Star and it is running just fine I'm happy to report.

post-923-0-29849100-1451678057_thumb.jpg

I am having a problem with the winding mechanism. I am not sure what it's correct name is but I would describe it as the intermediate wheel, it transfers the winding action to the barrel. You will know exactly what I mean from the photos. What is happening is that when the retaining screw is tightened it nips the wheel itself and it is impossible to wind the watch. If I back off the screw a touch it is fine but obviously I can't leave it like that. The wheel itself is centred by the screw head which lies in a recess in the wheel. I think it was like this before I stripped it down, as I could not wind the watch I just assumed that it was wound up too tightly. Thing I can't understand is that given it's age I would have thought the problem would have been excess play with the wheel slopping about, not gripped so tightly that it will not turn. If the screw hole had been a "blind" hole I would have tried to pack the hole out a little so that the screw did not tighten onto the wheel, but the hole goes clean through. The only other thing I can think of is to gently rub the back side of the wheel on some fine emery to make it just thin enough to be able to move when the screw is nipped up. What is not obvious from the phots is that the hole in the centre of the wheel is much larger than the post on which it sits and it relies on the retaining screw head to centre the wheel which it looks to me as if it is properly machined for this purpose. I can see how the hole might have become enlarged over the years but the screw does keep it central, it just nips the wheel too much. I would be grateful for any advice at all.

Thanks.

post-923-0-96727600-1451678070_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-54090100-1451678078_thumb.jpg

As it looks you are missing the little small washer . That sit inside the wheel . The screw should be a left hand screw? Movement looks like a A.S 970,984? or something like that? 

Edited by rogart63

Yes it's LH. Can't recall seeing a washer when I took out the wheel. Would it sit around the post and inside the wheel so as to take up the difference in size I was talking about? Worried now that I might not have seen it if it was stuck inside the wheel and lost it when cleaning. Although, like I said it was tight before. Ok, first daft question of the year. Am I likely to be able to find a washer? :)

Yes it's LH. Can't recall seeing a washer when I took out the wheel. Would it sit around the post and inside the wheel so as to take up the difference in size I was talking about? Worried now that I might not have seen it if it was stuck inside the wheel and lost it when cleaning. Although, like I said it was tight before. Ok, first daft question of the year. Am I likely to be able to find a washer? :)

Depends on the movement? Exactly like that . Do you have any measures i could maybe find something that fits? If it helps i have done the same mistake. 

Do you now which movement it is? 

Edited by rogart63

I will have to go through my boxes of movement? But i think i don't have so many parts for ETA ladies movement. But when searching the net found this . http://www.time2timepiece.com/product.php?category=4&brand=76&price=0&condition=0&gender=0&id=683&referrer=watches

And maybe look at Cousinsuk to see if there is a document on ETA 2335?

I know the part you are meaning now. I have a few older type movements with the same setup and I have taken off the wheel and noticed straight away the washer you mention. I will see if I can find anything among my bit's and bobs but I think if that one you linked me to is still available I'll just go for that. This watch cost me nothing anyway so a fiver would not be too bad to get me away. Thanks for finding that, it is exactly like mine :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 1

I've ordered it up. I'll update you when I get the part.

Thanks again.

Just noticed your link to the pink pages, I have seen that myself but there are some notes on the right about different bridge designs.

Edited by Davey57

The spare movement arrived today and I have just fitted the small washer that was missing, with a tiny dab of 8300 of course! Happy to report that the old girl is now winding and running nicely. There are some good spares to be had yet from the old movement that came, so it will never come in wrong.

I'm still not sure whether I lost the original washer during cleaning or not but I will be extra vigilant from now on. I might not be so lucky to find a replacement part the next time.

I have another question regarding this watch but I'll start a new thread.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thank you Geo, it has been enjoyable and it is almost there. I even came across what I think is it's original bracelet lurking among the stuff it came with. It will look lovely when it's finished. The only thing is, women don't seem to be too keen to wear someone else's old watch, even if it is a nice old thing like this, whereas us blokes don't seem to worry at all. Don't know what will happen to it. If I could wear it myself I would!

good observation about women not wearing someone else's old watch. i don't know why. me? every watch i have has been on someone elses wrist except for one. it was bought new. well, except for the old movements in the NOS cases i have.

good observation about women not wearing someone else's old watch. i don't know why. me? every watch i have has been on someone elses wrist except for one. it was bought new. well, except for the old movements in the NOS cases i have.

Happy Birthday darling I have bought you this lovely old second hand watch!   .....Slap......cheap asshole that's all you think of me! :D

Ladies watches are a dead area as far as I am concerned, you are lucky if you can give them away, usually find them in batch lots mixed in with a few men's watches as bait, I try to avoid them for that reason, unfortunately as there are a lot of them out there, but sadly no market.

Max