Changing A Battery On A Tissot

Vich

My son in law asked me if I could change the battery on his watch and with confidence I said "no Problem". 

post-197-0-65880600-1450004412_thumb.jpg

However, when I looked at the back when I looked at the back, this is what I saw:-

post-197-0-26697900-1450004484_thumb.jpg

The problem is that although I have the usual case back opening tools like Jaxa style and various equivalents as well as my LEM opener with all attachments, sticky ball etc. none seem to fit the bill.  The five holes you can see seem to be the location points and my LEM opener and Jaxa both have the the small ends that fit such holes but they are too large for the hole size.  I thought of putting a piece of plastic over the back and using the Lem against the star shape on the back but it has bevelled sides the watch is in pristine condition and that would have to be a last resort.  I noticed on the Bay someone has a set of Tissot openers for sale but it seems to be a bit overkill and especially when the pics don't make it clear what sort of backs they remove - it looks like vintage stuff and the watch is only a year old.

I just wondered if anyone has come across this type before.

Cheers,

Vic

If it's only a year old i would go to the watchmaker? It's probably a special tool for that? If you not like the watchmaker ;) . Couldn't you glue something on the caseback with superglue. It's easy to remove afterwards with acetone. Done that many times when i can't open in any other way. Last time i think it was a Enicar diver? Took a watch opener knife and glued it to the case back .

HI Vic,

The superglue (not epoxy), as rogart sais, will work and will wash away with acetone. If I remember well in some cases there is like a left over discoloration though so maybe try in a corner or something? Also I think the Omega tool will fit those holes...but I don't know which of them (I haven't tried those but they look like they will fit). As you said, being pristine and a year old may be a problem...although worth case scenario it is replaceable (not a financially sound way to change a battery though). Maybe, it would be better to either let the guy know the risks you are running and/or advise to send it to a Tissot shop?

I sure would hate to see you getting in trouble for a battery...just because it is a proprietary back! It would really sock!

Other than that, I can't think of anything else...I hope something will pop up and you will be able to successfully accomplish this.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Omega tool:

omekeysmsa.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

Superglue had occurred to me as it has cropped up on the forum before but I was curious about a special tool for a modern Tissot.  My LEM back remover has the omega style pins on one of the claws but the holes are a fraction too small - probably a deliberate design manipulation.

Cheers,

Vic

Are you absolutely certain it's not press on? I've worked on dozens of Tissots similar to this that have decorative, wheel like shapes on the back, (I might have even worked on that exact model) and they've all been pressure fit with a red gasket. They usually have no 'lip' for a case knife, and a fine, even sunken into the case 'seam'. Tricky for certain, conventional case knife will probably be useless. 

It does look like the case-back seam is more approachable from the 'Tissot' or 12' clock side from the photo, and it looks like Tissot is neatly at the top, which suggests a press on case-back.

I could be wrong, but my experience working in watch repair has taught me keep my eyes open for misdirection and trickery. 

Edited by Ishima

Hi Vic, I think Ishima may well be correct.

Use a single sided razor blade to see if it will start to lift. If it does, follow up with a Stanley blade that is slightly thicker, then you should be able to use your case knife to open it.

Thanks for all the help,

I looked around the case back with a loupe and could see no sign of an opening indent but my daughters Gucci watch is the same without a tell tale indent and just pops off.  I think that on the balance of probabilities it is a press on back and I could have got it off but it is away now.  Perhaps when it gets a bit older and battered it will come back my way.

Cheers,

Vic