A Tissot Question

ramrod

i bought a tissot PR-516 a few weeks ago off of fleabay. it is one of my all time favorite watches - solid, classic style and i'm sure a relatively high reliability in it's movement. this watch will hand wind smoothly, but it won't run for more than a few seconds. also, while setting, it is very difficult to turn the crown - a bit of a grab, a hard click and then the hands seem to disengage and won't move at all.

it is in otherwise very good condition with an exceptionally beautiful teal dial - in perfect shape. the lume is crisp and clean.

i am missing the bezel and am finding it difficult to locate one - except on other working models which are too nice to strip for parts.

so, finally, here is my question: i have not found any info on what year this watch was made, nor can i find out what movement is in it.

could anyone tell me what movement is in my watch?

and also, where can i get a bezel?

i can post pics once i find out how to do it - and if anyone is interested in seeing it.

edit: i don't know how i missed it, but on the movement it is stamped 784-2. probably the movement number?

Edited by ramrod

Sounds like the watch needs a service!

re the hand setting..some Tissot have the date quickset ability by pulling the crown further that the hand-setting possition...something could be loose here.

Anil

Tissot 784-2 are nice movements to work on . They have a quick change by moving the hands back and forth between 21.30 and 24.00 . But now that your watch isn't moving at all . You need to service it . It could be that the o-ring in the crown has gone to chewing gum . Tissot parts are usually very hard to find?  Search on Ebay and maybe ask if urdelar.se may have a bezel? . Look for tissot parts or tissot bezel on Ebay .

Edited by rogart63

late reply here, guys. i just got in.

thank you for the input. i knew someone on this fine forum would have a better guess than i. 

i've been looking on ebay for a bezel, and as i say, they are on watches that are too good to scrap for parts. i will look on that website you mentioned, rogart63.

as for messing with the movement and turning the crown, i have refrained from doing so until i can get a pro to look at this thing. i'd love to gather enough info and parts sourcing if needed to tackle it myself.

Edited by ramrod

i guess i'm not really sure. here's why: i've seen diver type bezels on pr-516 watches that weren't seastars. and i've seen them on seastar watches. you can google "tissot PR-516" and look at the images. mine is NOT a seastar, nor is it a GL. at this point, i'll take ANY bezel. but, i don't know how i can tell what came on mine originally.

is your's a seastar?

wow! where did that website come from??!!  i thought i did all of the searches for the bezel. it has a few for tissot watches, but i can't identify one for the pr516. i gotta studay that site a bit more.

thank you, rogart63. that is a nice find to bookmark.

Many thanks indeed for that site! I had a look at it this afternoon and saw that he had various movements for sale - including Longines. I have a Longine Cal. 280 that I was going to case up but, alas, have been unable to find a case for it.

So I emailed the site - the owner is called Emmanuel Lefebvre - enclosing pics of the 280 and asking if he'd care to buy it. (I asked a reasonable price, knowing that he had to make a profit, etc.).

Back came the answer - yes - we agreed  the asking price, I've just been paid via PayPal and the watch goes into the post first thing tomorrow morning.

Job done!

Will

• Like 1

Excellent Will, my experience was the exact opposite. My first visit to the site ended up costing me £60, so much for me stopping purchasing watches that need repaired. It was the Seiko 7A38-7020 by the way. I'll need to find a bracelet for it now!

Check this out . they have some bezels too . And other nice parts . Found this new page today. http://www.furniturenmarkt.de/epages/63928878.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=Categories

that is a cool website, rogart63. where are you finding this stuff? i sent them an email requesting info on whether they have a bezel. i hope someone reads english  - because i surely can't read dutch - if that's what it is. 

yes, they do have some nice stuff on that site. every time i see an empty case - no matter what the brand, i want to buy it in hopes of finding a movement someday. i am resisting that urge on this site.

thank you for that link.

that is a cool website, rogart63. where are you finding this stuff? i sent them an email requesting info on whether they have a bezel. i hope someone reads english  - because i surely can't read dutch - if that's what it is. 

yes, they do have some nice stuff on that site. every time i see an empty case - no matter what the brand, i want to buy it in hopes of finding a movement someday. i am resisting that urge on this site.

thank you for that link.

Have no idea? They just pop up here and there when i browse the net. And my head keeps remembering  what i have read here and there. Found this site when i locked at Omegaforums? Then is remembered that someone was looking for a bezel. You?  And i wanted to share the great site with all of  you :)

Edited by rogart63

thank you again, rogart63.

it reminds me of the seiko citizen watch forum that i'm also a member of. there was a member that needed an indice for the dial of one of his watches. he happened to have mentioned it in passing. i looked on and off for several months when i would think of it. i sent him a few PMs and he was amazed that i was still looking for it