Help With Vintage Omega Please

NickP

Hello All,

My wife found this old omega in an antique shop the other day. She very sweetly bought if for me.

I am not familiar with this model (I feel sure many of you are) and I don't understand how to open it.

When I snapped the case open, the movement, dial and the back case came out together.

I have read somewhere that i have to pull the stem out, but it wont budge.

I would be so grateful  for some help. I am relative newbie and this is really frustrating me.

Thanks so much for all your help

Nick

post-1514-0-74352000-1448202674_thumb.jppost-1514-0-14225200-1448202675_thumb.jp

Hi Nick,

Welcome to our place. Hope you enjoy it and the nice people that come here often.

About the watch, so far the way the movement seems to have come out correctly. I would like to see the other side of the movement since I haven't worked on that specific one before. If you are new to watches, I would not tinker with it yet. You have several options here, wait till you get better at it or (my preference) find a good, professional and experienced watchmaker -- like our Mark who works on those almost everyday -- to service/repair it. As it is, this is a good, very respected and expensive brand and you have a vintage watch for all I know. I suppose it would be worth a very special care and restoration.

Just my opinion of course.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Nick 

I am sorry but i have never seen that construction on a Omega . It looks like it could be a fake. It looks like a 30T2 with roman numbers . But to be really sure i would like to see the movement and the case back . If you can't remove the caseback or the stem . Try to remove the hands and the dial . And from the dial side remove the stem by loosening the keyless work parts .

Hi Guys, thank so much.

I have actually serviced a few watches. I feel quite confident doing so, but I have never come across this kind of case before. The problem is that I can't take the back off. I'll try and include some pictures to show you.

I read some articles about some vintage omega's that have a "pull part" stem system. I just cant seem to make it work.

post-1514-0-40990500-1448205319_thumb.jppost-1514-0-87945700-1448205319_thumb.jp

post-1514-0-25730300-1448205320_thumb.jppost-1514-0-58002500-1448205320_thumb.jp

For what I can make out of your pictures, the back lift right out, maybe there is too much gunk that won't let you do that, or it is too tight on the plate/ring shown in the picture. Try to take the hands and dial off so you have a better visual and won't damage them. In the end, you should have the movement and the stem/crown all together and the back all by itself (two pieces).

I have never worked on this movement but it looks like it comes out through the front. If it does then the winder will be a two piece and pulls apart with a firm tug. BUT as I have stated I have not worked on this caliber so best to wait until someone posts who absolutely knows.

Welcome to the forum Nick.

That's a nice watch and good advice from Bob.

If you really must remove the movement, you could give this a try. If the stem goes through a tube that is fitted to the case, it will probably be a split stem. To remove the movement, you will either have to turn it to a position that will allow the movemnt to be lifted out leaving half the stem in the tube, or the give the crown a really good tug and it should separate and come away in your hand leaving the movement to be lifted out. BE CAREFUL!

Hi Nick!

First let me congratulate you on having a wife who not only indulges your interest in watches but also has the good taste and generosity to buy you a classic Omega!

As a complete amateur and beginner I can offer you no advice on watch repair but can assure you that the folk on this fine forum DO have all the expertise that you may need. They are a good bunch and your choice in alighting here will prove a sensible one.

Welcome aboard!

John

P.S. Geo has a special tool for the removal of recalcitrant case backs. It's referred to as the Bergeon Basher but cheaper versions are available at other outlets.

Edited by clockwatcher

Guys, I managed to do take the movement out.

It wasn't that hard, I was just being thick.

Movement looks lovely and I think you are right, I think it is a 30T2

Thanks again for replying. Much appreciated.

Nick

attachicon.gifOmega7.JPG

The movement looks in very good shape & if it,s running I would see how it performs before any tinkering.

It is indeed a nice piece, however if you can't confirm when it was last serviced it would be a very good idea to get a clean, oil and adjust done.

If it's been sitting for years (and it looks like it has) the old oils will be dried out and any dust in the movement will help with grinding away the pivots and jewels if you continue to wear it.

(a bit of an over dramatisation, but a service could be in order)

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

That's very good advice from Jim.

Don't be tempted to just oil the movement without "cleaning it thoroughly". This can cause old solidified oil residue to swell and slow the watch by gripping the pivots, to a point where the watch will actually stop. I found this out the hard way when I started off servicing movements.

• Like 1

That's very good advice from Jim.

Don't be tempted to just oil the movement without "cleaning it thoroughly". This can cause old solidified oil residue to swell and slow the watch by gripping the pivots, to a point where the watch will actually stop. I found this out the hard way when I started off servicing movements.

spanking.gif

• Like 1