Making Case Press Die?

jdm

I'm having trouble closing a small fashion snapback - just as I had trouble opening it. I believe that is because the case back is oval and slightly raised in the center, so the die presses there, making it flex instead of pressing down the edges.

Has anyone had luck building a custom die from hard wood, filed to push just the edge of the case back?

Hi jdm,

I've had this problem many times especially with larger diameter watches & using nylon dies, the dies tend to flex like a diaphragm absorbing the force of the press. I have improvised with wood & it works, always a relief when the back snaps on though !.  Good luck ! 

Thanks, in my case (no pun intended) it's the case back that flexes, as the die is thick and strong despite being inadequate. I'll see what can I do with wood then. This is certainly an hobby of thousand trades.

I'm having trouble closing a small fashion snapback - just as I had trouble opening it. I believe that is because the case back is oval and slightly raised in the center, so the die presses there, making it flex instead of pressing down the edges.

Has anyone had luck building a custom die from hard wood, filed to push just the edge of the case back?

I think your diagnosis is probably correct. I have found that a tiny bit of silicone grease on then rim really helps.

• 4 weeks later...