I just got this ladies Omega cal 684. The problem is the snap on case back is very hard to remove.
Each time has taken me about 5 mins with my case back tool, and after a struggle, it pinged off about half a metre in the air.
I cleaned and examined the parts, all looks in good condition, with no damage and nothing bent. So I tried again - 5 mins and PING.  

As the back is only 19mm diameter there's not as much flex as on a larger movement.

I'm thinking of putting the back in my mini chuck, in the drill, and run round the inner edge with a fine file or wet and dry.

Thoughts?

a.jpg.5e032ef6e208dd79abcb7730db1e71bd.jpg

The weapon of choice :

image.png.63307a1ebb9938f257b5c5936a52c75d.png

A good idea ?

20240510_184639.thumb.jpg.70b5bb36c37405d8daf084fea7c5bec9.jpg

I would not Mike, I have only done a few quartz battery changes on Omegas, yes they were tight and difficult to get on and off. However that is part of their quality so reducing that would not be good even if it makes it easier for you.

just my tuppence 

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

I would not Mike, I have only done a few quartz battery changes on Omegas, yes they were tight and difficult to get on and off. However that is part of their quality so reducing that would not be good even if it makes it easier for you.

I know Omega snap on backs are usually tight (I have several), but this is ridiculously so. I have never come across a watch with such a tight case back.  It shouldn't take so much effort with the tool I am using to get the back off.

• Like 2

Yes. Small diameter ladies watches are a lot harder to open.

Sometimes it's due to dried up sweat and organic matter. I usually give the watch back a good scrub with a wet toothbrush to soften and remove any crud first. If that fails, a spray of wd40 and leaving it for a couple of hours helps.

I think hardened gaskets also add to the difficulty. BTW does anyone have ideas on softening hardened gaskets?

14 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Yes. Small diameter ladies watches are a lot harder to open.

Sometimes it's due to dried up sweat and organic matter. I usually give the watch back a good scrub with a wet toothbrush to soften and remove any crud first. If that fails, a spray of wd40 and leaving it for a couple of hours helps.

I think hardened gaskets also add to the difficulty. BTW does anyone have ideas on softening hardened gaskets?

For hardened gaskets, an experienced watchmaker told me he usually found heat to be the best to soften them up. I tried that on a '70's Tissot where the gasket had turned to essentially epoxy to no avail, but eventually got it off with a 5700 case back opener using a crowbar for leverage to turn the wheel.

13 hours ago, tomh207 said:

just my tuppence 

Tom

Fashion watch casebacks are extremely tight with no gap for a knife to enter. A razor blade is the only tool that gets me in with a sharp ping as the back releases. Personally i wouldn’t modify, as it is you can remove and replace though somewhat difficult , with a mod it may not stay on. It could very well be a sharp edge that keeps it in place , a light rub might take away that edge ? It wouldn’t be worth that risk to me, just how accurate is a drill and the chuck, its not the accuracy of a lathe . 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Fashion watch casebacks are extremely tight with no gap for a knife to enter. A razor blade is the only tool that gets me in with a sharp ping as the back releases. Personally i wouldn’t modify, as it is you can remove and replace though somewhat difficult , with a mod it may not stay on. It could very well be a sharp edge that keeps it in place , a light rub might take away that edge ? It wouldn’t be worth that risk to me, just how accurate is a drill and the chuck, its not the accuracy of a lathe . 

This is not a "fashion" watch, it was made in 1972. The first time I tried to open it I used a knife blade and hammer to start it, then used the opening tool. I thought it might be stuck with gunk, but cleaned it all up and its just the same. There is no gasket.
It's so tight that I cannot hold it down with my thumb whilst trying to prise it with the opening tool. I just have to keep tightening the tool until it pings, which is starting to damage the case.  

If I leave it as it is, there is a chance of damage to the watch when it is opened. So I feel I need to do something.

I just ran a very fine file around the back of the case. I barely removed any metal, and now it fits nicely. Tight, but I can prise it off with the case remover 😀

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

This is not a "fashion" watch, it was made in 1972. The first time I tried to open it I used a knife blade and hammer to start it, then used the opening tool

No i know Mike, i just mentioned that as a comparison of casebacks that are super tight. I wouldn't want to make an attempt at modifying one.

31 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

This is not a "fashion" watch, it was made in 1972. The first time I tried to open it I used a knife blade and hammer to start it, then used the opening tool. I thought it might be stuck with gunk, but cleaned it all up and its just the same. There is no gasket.
It's so tight that I cannot hold it down with my thumb whilst trying to prise it with the opening tool. I just have to keep tightening the tool until it pings, which is starting to damage the case.  

If I leave it as it is, there is a chance of damage to the watch when it is opened. So I feel I need to do something.

I just ran a very fine file around the back of the case. I barely removed any metal, and now it fits nicely. Tight, but I can prise it off with the case remover 😀

Good to know that works Mike, you're braver than me, desperation can push your limits 👍

15 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Before trying wet and dry, you could use polishing compound on the mating surfaces.  Wash off.  It will remove microscopic amounts of material and smooth the surfaces. 

Well hello there Mr. moderator, how does it feel ?  Did you get a badge, a uniform and everything.  Do i have to salute and call you sir now 😅.  I'm a pee taking steward 🤣

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

you get a badge, a uniform and everything.  Do i have to salute and call you sir now

You must bow, call me You Highness and only speak when spoken to.  No badge or uniform, very disappointed.  

Joking apart, nothing will change, I  just have some admin duties now.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

You must bow, call me You Highness and only speak when spoken to.  No badge or uniform, very disappointed.  

Joking apart, nothing will change, I  just have some admin duties now.

"🤚"  ok , I'll wait for you to get all serious like then .  Jack Black and Kyle Gass this evening in Leeds with my missus and two kids. ✊

4 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

"🤚"  ok , I'll wait for you to get all serious like then .  Jack Black and Kyle Gass this evening in Leeds with my missus and two kids. ✊

Apparently he's walking round leeds and Manchester town, if you see him get a selfie with him for me.

Screenshot_20240511-104942_Google.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1