Fossil 1099 Battery Change !!!

clockboy

By any chance has anyone changed a battery on one of these. It is a fossil 1099 which is a real strange one as it is a auto + quartz movement. BUT if I am correct it is a major job to just change the battery. I have attached a pic & I have removed the counter weight & I have no idea how to let off the mainspring power either.

post-234-0-62319100-1444837977_thumb.jpg

I have come across similar where a watch had an oscillating weight and battery, the battery powered the timekeeping, and the oscillating weight powered the faux balance wheel.

If yours has the same, then you will need to remove that plate whole to reveal the battery enough to change it, the gears for the oscillating weight will come off with the plate as a lower gear connects to the one that drives the faux balance wheel.

Thats if its the same as the one I repaired anyway.

Good luck.

Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 1

I have had a fiddle since putting up my original post & there is something wrong/broken on the auto side. I let down the mainspring but when the oscillating counter weight is turned the reversing wheels turn but no winding takes place. Parts are going to be difficult to access & someone has had it apart (all of the rear case screws & were loose also the oscillating weight screw was loose)  

I have just have a gut feeling with this one & decided to give it back explaining why I think it is not working but I did not have access to parts.

Sometimes if you are beat, or if its a non-starter, its best to be honest, and walk away.  Luckily I managed to repair the one I had in, it was only a dress watch to me, but to the owner, it held a very strong personal attachment as it was a gift to them from their elder brother who was killed in action sadly.