Bench Top Micrometer Recommendations Please

SSTEEL

I am slowly building my more specific tools, and equipment these days, with a mini lathe in the none to distant future too, but for now, having just bagged a great jeweling set thanks to Geo, i am on the look out for a dialled bench top micrometer.  Can any of you guys recommend one to me?

I found this one, is this any good, and is the price ok?  £210GBP Shipped.

Is the age something to consider with regards calibration of the tool, do I need to get it recalibrate?  Sorry for the dumb questions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JKA-Feintaster-high-precision-bench-micrometer-for-watchmakers-/201438939532?hash=item2ee6b2498c

21836655985_6f47dc5fa9_z.jpgJKA Micrometer by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Hi Micky

This is strictly my personal view, I am a long way from an expert. I have one and I like it, but I still use my screw type bench micrometer for accuracy. I just feel it's more reliable, partly because it is more simple - you are simply counting turns as opposed to the feintaster where you have a dial and pointer translating the measurement. I certainly wouldn't put anyone off buying one of these though as they are great tools.

With regard to price they are expensive so you need to watch and wait I think. I noticed one on EBay.de (the best place to look) this week for a BIN price of €100. Most seem to be priced high, but you can get bargains.

Stephen

• Like 1

For others that may be interested. I have micrometers and verniers, but the Feintaster is by far the best piece of kit when measuring watch components. I purchased one a couple of years ago and wouldn't be without it now!

• 2 weeks later...

You certainly did! :)

Even though it reads to 0.01mm, it is easy to estimate sizes smaller than that. The pallet fork pinions on the 1120 movement I have just rebuilt measured 0.068mm and 0.0067mm respectively. I was frightened to measure the diameter of the new ones, as the slightest tweak of the tweezers would have snapped them. I'm still curious as to what the new size is. If anyone has information on this please let me know.

• Like 1

I read with great interest about the quality and usefulness of the JKA Feintaster and started to look for one. Unfortunately they all seem to be from £145 to £195 which is a bit too rich for me.

Then I came across this item on fleabay and couldn't believe my luck.

Item no.252109127293 is the one I purchased but there are others on the site.

It came in a small plastic box, will stand alone or can be used hand held. I can honestly say that it is like new and life would have been a lot easier if we'd had these available for use when I was in Engineering.

It's about 8cm sq, and 10cm thick. Operates as smooth as silk.

Edited by Alaskamick

Geo the anvils seem to be the same as the Feintaster.

Really the only difference is that, if bench mounted this one works vertically, but with the advantage that you can hold it easily and use it as a hand held mic.

Edited by Alaskamick

I think the item you bought is called a thickness gauge. It's a good tool, but as Geo said one of the best parts of the feintaster are the soft closing anvils. You can allow them to close on very small and delicate items without causing damage, thus giving very accurate measurements. I wouldn't risk doing the same with either a thickness gauge or micrometer in case of damage.

As I said before I prefer overall the accuracy of a micrometer, but the feintaster is the best for this I think. They are expensive, but if you keep an eye out you can pick them up for a slightly less wallet straining amount. I saw one listed as BIN for €65 last week, about £50 I think? They also often sell for about €100 on German EBay.

Stephen

Clockboy

Before I bought a bench micrometer I used one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cast-Iron-Micrometer-Stand-for-Micrometers-up-to-100mm-4-/111402215939?hash=item19f016ea03:m:mG92BQeSe7n3q42ZFZBoBcA.

I found it very useful as it is quite solid and keeps the micrometer steady at whatever angle you want.

Stephen

Thanks Chadders I have looked at these but my clamp system works. However a Feintaster is on my future purchase list when funds allow.

• Like 1