Vintage Timex Stainless Steel Q Quartz Crystal Issues

I need help locating and replacing a crystal.

I have a Q Quartz from 1978 that has a solid stainless steel case. Model 98950-07378. The crystal was severely cracked around the edge, so I attempted to remove it using a crystal lift like I do with all my other Timex restorations.

Well, the crystal is off, but there are pieces that remain in the case due to an inner lip that sits behind the crystal. I’ll get those out, but 1.) how do I get a new crystal in? and 2.) Where do I find the correct replacement crystal? The bezel inner diameter is ~32.95mm.

Thanks for any tips and advice you all can provide!

IMG_2802.jpeg

IMG_2803.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

Acrylic crystals are friction fit, maybe someone tried to glue in an undersized one which lead to your issues? You can search on sites like CousinsUK or Eslinger (depending where you are int he world) for a new one. Fortunately acrylic crystals are not expensive, so measure up the case and order your crystal, however, I would advise that you also order one size above and one size below to save you the time and frustration of having to re-order a new one if the one you get turns out to be over/under sized.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Waggy said:

Acrylic crystals are friction fit, maybe someone tried to glue in an undersized one which lead to your issues? You can search on sites like CousinsUK or Eslinger (depending where you are int he world) for a new one. Fortunately acrylic crystals are not expensive, so measure up the case and order your crystal, however, I would advise that you also order one size above and one size below to save you the time and frustration of having to re-order a new one if the one you get turns out to be over/under sized.

Thanks, Scott!

I'll check out Esslinger or Otto Frei as they are just down the road from me in CA. How do I determine whether I need a high dome or extra high dome? My crystal is about 4.25mm tall.

Friction fit has been my experience with all the Acrylic crystals I've worked with so far, but I've also never seen one with lip between the crystal and dial like this watch has.

My first thought was that it was a tension ring that was stuck in the case, but it won't move and appears to be a part of the case itself.

Nice Q, it is the model worn by Vincent in Pulp Fiction.   That lip you mention is an inner tension \ reflector ring.  You have to remove it first before attempting to fit the crystal. Otherwise you get the end result of a cracked crystal. So now that you have successfully gained access to the ring you should be able to just push it out the back.

I likely have the crystal and will look once I get a chance.

12 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

Nice Q, it is the model worn by Vincent in Pulp Fiction.   That lip you mention is an inner tension \ reflector ring.  You have to remove it first before attempting to fit the crystal. Otherwise you get the end result of a cracked crystal. So now that you have successfully gained access to the ring you should be able to just push it out the back.

here is the catalog pic - image.png.df98091ae5bf696dd369f1d761e0058b.png

1 hour ago, JerseyMo said:

429618906_690448763302705_1457154158329544509_n.jpg

NOS crystal with reflector ring.  Also showing you the original bracelet from that model.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:05 AM, JerseyMo said:

429618906_690448763302705_1457154158329544509_n.jpg

NOS crystal with reflector ring.  Also showing you the original bracelet from that model.

Thanks. You interested in selling the cyrstal and band? I'd love to get this think back to it's original glory!