Sharpening Stake Tool Set Punch

I  have a chipped K&D center set punch with my staking tool set and was wondering if there are any companies providing professional sharpening/refinishing for watchmakers?  Are they any ways to do this at home?

Unfortunately, I do not own a lathe and am a little hesitant strapping the punch to my power drill.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Dan

39 minutes ago, menez718 said:

I  have a chipped K&D center set punch with my staking tool set and was wondering if there are any companies providing professional sharpening/refinishing for watchmakers?  Are they any ways to do this at home?

Unfortunately, I do not own a lathe and am a little hesitant strapping the punch to my power drill.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Dan

If it’s the punch used to centre the table I would think that would have to be done on a lathe.

Tom

• Like 1

KDSetPunch.jpg.7ebb299f27b7e8975e08d00b23f02e2b.jpg

5 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

This video deals with the way to repair a jewelling set. Should work for a Staking set. At least you can compare and modify to suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS1G5-SmjaQ

I like Alex's videos but in this instance I would need to use a lathe or rotary drill.  The punch is used to center the table on the staking tool.

4 hours ago, tomh207 said:

If it’s the punch used to centre the table I would think that would have to be done on a lathe.

Tom

Yes, it's THAT punch.  I would like to have it as close to perfect as possible.  Any watchmakers or companies offering this service?  

Edited by menez718
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rehajm said:

The King of punches 😂

…just wondering - how many staking sets do you have? Just one?

Just the one set I purchased from Goodwill.  The center set punch it came with appeared to have been sharpened (poorly) but does the job.  I picked up a used punch off eBay with a chipped point.  I now have two punches to be refinished! 😂  This damn hobby makes a tool junkie out of the best of us!

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've done this with a tool and cutter grinder. It is important that the centre be axial with the punch.  Most small engineering shops would have one so maybe finding a friendly local one might be a way forward?  Punches are often non-standard sizes so it probably needs one that has collets to hold the work.

• Like 2