Dmaged Balance Bridge

clockboy

I have been asked by a friend of a friend to service/repair a vintage watch & the movement is a FHF 969-N. I was told it had been with another watch repairer & since it,s return was gaining 5mins every hour & intermitingly stopping. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well he goes with a little horror story.

I becaome suspicious when the dial screws were missing & I could not remove the dial. Found after a lot of fiddleing & very gentle prising that the dial had no dial feet (which had been broken off) & the dial had been stuck down with some sort of doulbe sided tape.

When I inpected the hairspring balance some of the outer coils were touching & the spring was not sitting correctly. When I removed the balance the end stud scew was missing & the stud had been stuck in it,s retaining hole with some sort of glue.

However worse was to follow. I expect in an attempt to get the hairspring flat the end lever had also been bent down. I removed the hairspring by removeng it,s brass pin and removed the bends & twists as best as I could. However as you can see by the pic re-straightening the lever was not possible & it just broke away. I have made enquiries to see if I can get a replacment bridge if not it,s a scrapper. I have already told the customer that it looks doomed & if he paid for the repair ask for his money back.

post-234-0-48042400-1442414780_thumb.jpg

It's incredible what some people do to things. I hope you manage to get it sorted CB.

I've got a horror story that I'll be reporting shortly, stand watch this space!

Thanks Geo. I have been experimenting with attaching dial feet this afternoon. Watch this space as well !!!!!!  :startle:

Have a lot of FHF parts from buying some stuff from an auction . Will check if i have any FHF 969-N .I now i have FHF 96 and 96-4  parts but not sure if they work in 969-N

Rogart I have acquired a replacement but thanks very much for your offer.

• Like 1