International Durowe 7523 lower incabloc shock spring not fitting

Hello,

I am working on an International Durowe  7523 movement, I lost the lower incabloc shock spring during disassembly and now cannot get the replacement spring to fit the setting.

I found the spring part numbers on Emmy watch, which say the parts numbers for the top spring is 170.03 and the lower spring is 173.03

I ordered 3 of each part and neither will fit the setting. The 173.03 is closest to fitting, but the "hinge ears" are too long, and the gap is to small. (see photo)

I actually tried to stone the spring and get to fit, but there's no way it's going to work. (see photo).

The springs came in original packaging that had been opened and then taped shut. ( I ordered 3 each and they come in sets of five),  so  I guess they still could be wrong.

What the heck am I to do now?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bill 

Incabolic spring.jpg

P1050112.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

Edited by BillM
Add info

• BillM changed the title to International Durowe 7523 lower incabloc shock spring not fitting
3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Have you tried finding the spring with a strong magnet ? 

Yes, looked many, many times.   Even scanned my beard with a magnet. I have an extremely strong magnet.  

9 hours ago, BillM said:

Hello,

I am working on an International Durowe  7523 movement, I lost the lower incabloc shock spring during disassembly and now cannot get the replacement spring to fit the setting.

I found the spring part numbers on Emmy watch, which say the parts numbers for the top spring is 170.03 and the lower spring is 173.03

I ordered 3 of each part and neither will fit the setting. The 173.03 is closest to fitting, but the "hinge ears" are too long, and the gap is to small. (see photo)

I actually tried to stone the spring and get to fit, but there's no way it's going to work. (see photo).

The springs came in original packaging that had been opened and then taped shut. ( I ordered 3 each and they come in sets of five),  so  I guess they still could be wrong.

What the heck am I to do now?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bill 

Incabolic spring.jpg

P1050112.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

Did the old spring remove easily, normally they are left in place. incabloc springs can require the setting to be removed to fit them. Fitting the spring from the outside of the cut out. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Did the old spring remove easily, normally they are left in place. incabloc springs can require the setting to be removed to fit them. Fitting the spring from the outside of the cut out. 

thats interesting information, haven't come across that situation before.

As soon as I disengaged the second arm the spring just disappeared, it could have broken in half as far as I know.  
The upper spring opened and stayed in place like expected, though I was smart enough to use thin plastic over the spring just in case it wanted to fly away too.  

43 minutes ago, BillM said:

As soon as I disengaged the second arm the spring just disappeared, it could have broken in half as far as I know.  
The upper spring opened and stayed in place like expected, though I was smart enough to use thin plastic over the spring just in case it wanted to fly away too.  

Chronoglide has a good video on just this issue with incabloc springs.

1 hour ago, BillM said:

This should explain

https://youtu.be/pJu0mw5kPmI?si=vt5Om32CtQtqbmVJ

6 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Chronoglide has a good video on just this issue with incabloc springs.

This should explain

https://youtu.be/pJu0mw5kPmI?si=vt5Om32CtQtqbmVJ

Thank you for that link, very helpful, and what a cool design. Unfortunately, the setting in this Durowe 7523 movement is not that design.

Not sure you can really tell from the attached photo, but it's clear looking through my microscope.

Not sure what do do next, I really want to finish this watch.

P1080110.JPG

5 hours ago, BillM said:

Thank you for that link, very helpful, and what a cool design. Unfortunately, the setting in this Durowe 7523 movement is not that design.

Not sure you can really tell from the attached photo, but it's clear looking through my microscope.

Not sure what do do next, I really want to finish this watch.

P1080110.JPG

Thats a shame,  i know the chinese eta clones dont operate like in the video. Looks like could have access from both inside and outside

5 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

The attached PDF lists the 173.03 as the correct part number, so it would seem it should fit . Did you try installing the spring with the capstone in?

1246_Incabloc By Factory - Durowe.pdf 858.07 kB · 0 downloads

No, I did not try to install the spring with the  jewel setting in place. 
Are you thinking that the spring will be bent thus allowing it to fit? 
The upper spring ( on the balance cock) fits into place with and without the jewels in place.  

I’ll it give it a try, 

18 minutes ago, BillM said:

The upper spring ( on the balance cock) fits into place with and without the jewels in place.  

I’ll it give it a try, 

Does the top balance spring come out ?

21 minutes ago, BillM said:

I’ll it give it a try, 

Yes, that was my thinking. Also, I find it easier to replace springs with the capstone in place.

OK, I tried to fit the spring with the capstone in place, no go, this is not the correct spring for this setting. (See photo)

I went back and looked at the pre-disassembly photos and found that the spring that was originally installed is clearly a different style of Incabloc. (see photos)  

Also here is a photo of the movement with ID numbers   

Wrong spring.JPG

PC100046.JPG

orig setting.JPG

Edited by BillM
Change photo

Interesting. Yeah, Ranfft says the Durowe 7523/2 has the Rufa-Anti-Shock system. 17jewels says the 7255 also uses the Rufa-Anti-Shock system and the photo of it looks the same as yours. There seems to be a glitch in the matrix with the incorrect Incabloc information. It looks like that system isn't hinged, so I can see why it pinged off into the great beyond.

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

Might be economical to just get a 7523 movement or one that interchanges, but it seems like the interchange info isn't accurate. Not sure, I'll check and see if I have one in my parts drawer.

Ive been looking for a movement that i could get the spring from, but haven't been able to find one.  

according to this sheet, it looks like the spring is a Duroswing. 

IMG_1236.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to close this out, so thanks to GuyMontag, who graciously sent me the correct shock spring, the watch is up and running again. I still need to go back and fix a few things; needs a new stem and the date jumper isn’t  quite working right yet.  
Thanks Guy, and thanks for all the help with this watch everyone. 
Bill

Here’s a before and after photo of the watch:

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_6679.jpeg

IMG_6682.jpeg

Edited by BillM
  • Thanks 1