Smiths Enfield won't tick when level

AndytheCrafter

3 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

OK, then please, answer this question: Is it possible to do something with the pendulum or leader or suspension spring or whatever what the high of this wooden clock case itself allows that will bring to 2hours/day dalay??? Or, may be the movement is from longer case?

For the record, I too restore antique clocks and make parts for them. From 40 years, with breaks.

With the correct leader and the correct length suspension spring the clock will keep good time. The pendulum is the correct one for this type of movement. There is nothing wrong with the case that I can see, the pendulum is a good height from the case bottom, mind you we can only see the back. If I could see the front the arbors and key holes would tell me more.

• Like 1

Sorry to say you have bought what is known as a marriage. That is where a movement and case never started out as being one. The case should have a chiming movement you can see the original holes which have been blocked. If I were you sell it but you won't get much for it. If you see a clock that you like take good photos of it and post them here and I can advise you. 

• Like 1

OK, now it is clear this is a pile of parts that may have been from different movements... But, still it is possible to make them work together well, no mater if it is 'frankenclock'.

If You can count the teeth of the tables of central, intermediate and escape wheel and the leafs of the pinions of the intermediate and 'scape, we will know for sure what is the BPM or BPH of the movement. I found beter  picture to count the teeth: the count there as I can see is 84, 72, 44 and 7, 7  this makes 84x72x44x2/7x7=10861.7143... BPH and 181.0285...BPM This are odd numbers, but that's it.help.thumb.jpg.b94e686216e745d38231d1fa1ec5c549.jpg

But we need to know if You movement is the same, ad if not - what is the teeth count of it. When You know the BPH of the movement, then You can use Clock Tunner app for Android - the free version - to adjust the beat rate, and this will take several minutes only. If the pendulum is up to the end and still the movement is slow, then the leader or the pendulum can be shortened to reach the needed BPH.

It is indeed a Frankenclock. I knew nothing about repairing clocks until very recently. The clock case pictured was altered by myself using my  far from legendary woodworking skills to remove two plugs from the case to fill the holes left behind in the act of adjusting the case for my movement, the central low hole Was also plugged by me.

the suspension spring is 14 mm long bought from Cousins based on something I read on a clock repair forum, as this movement arrived without one.

currently after some tweaks it is around 20 minutes down on a full day.

I bought this movement to tinker with and learn some clock repair skills, I will no doubt buy more to further learn. I have no time to become a master of this craft but I respect the opinions and advice of all who are.

• Like 1

Hi Andy. You will be able to use this as an exercise in what to look for when buying clocks , like I mentioned before you can bodge clocks to make them “ work”  and to the unwary buyer look ok  bur are In reality a load of rubbish.  Yours is such a case but is salvageable with the correct bits but at cost. This is why Old Hippy said enough is enough . It becomes not cost effective. . One could spend a deal of money on it, new case ( correct one) , new leader etc.   I have an Enfield movement in the shop somewhere and may be a case if you are interested PM  me  we maybe able to save it yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Shorten the leader cannot be done. The easiest way and I'm surprised as you say you have 40 years behind you as a clock maker is to fit a shorter suspension spring. 

Looking at this, do You think that shorter suspension spring can be fitted? I don't think so, or with modification of the crutch...

IMG_8348.jpeg.fffb9ffb2706777ca7ee4718dacc686c.jpeg.4cd0cc0d2a79eb94115aaf673e343f13.jpeg

See, the OP has already bought this thing and we here can just guide him to make it work normally, wit no need to buy more parts.  This is absolutelly possible. Just some shortening hte entire lenght of the pendulum is needed. Shortening the leader, of course, is possible.  It should be done from the down side of it, between the hole for the crutch and the hole for the pendulum hook. The pendulum hook itself can be shortened, and it is easier.

• Like 1

Hi my last comment on this post.    As I said before we can make any clock work by BODGEING it up but that’s not the point. The point is there are wrong parts in it and it needs to be put right as it is it’s worthless can’t be sold only as bits even then you would be hard pressed to get your money back.  Case closed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

Who needs to sell this clock? May be the OP needs to make it work and learn the principles of clock working as well. It is not as the manufactuer made it, what's wrong with this? Every part missing may be made by someone who can do it, this is good thow not original.

Exactly, I have no intention of selling this clock. I bought a cheap movement to learn about clocks, followed up with a pendulum and suspension spring and after disassembly, cleaning and reassembly managed to get it working again, albeit not correctly. With advice given by all contributors I have a working clock of value mostly to myself, and learned quite a few things in the process. Not a lot of money changed hands for these parts so I don't mind if it is a Frankenclock.  This is my first few steps into this field but not the last.

• Like 3