Is $833 Reasonable to service a Breitling Quartz Aerospace?

My wife’s father generously gave me his Breitling Aerospace as a gift.  He never worn it really.   We took it to Bucherer to get it resized and they talked us (i.e., her) into the idea that it needs a full service.  Bucherer couldn’t do it and had to send it to Breitling for service.  Now they are saying the cost is $833. (Bucherer said it would be $400-600 at first). That seems quite expensive to service a quartz watch.  Any advice out there on this?  Is that reasonable?  Is Bucherer marking up Breitlings price?

IMG_2521.png

Hi As with most factory services there is great cost, anything that looks worn or is suspect worn is replaced and the watch is returned in as new condition. So the price is about right if that’s what they have done.  T hays why manufacturers of watches would like you to return watches to the factory for service it gives them full control.

My daily watch is an Aerospace I bought back in 2003. I did used to get it serviced by Breilting. In one service they upgraded the movement. 

A battery service used to cost me about £75, and a "full service" every 6 years was about £350. But they had polished the case and strap, and it came back looking like new. This was about 10 years ago. 

Now I do the services myself. It's not difficult, the ETA service sheet has clear instructions on what to do. The problem is that the movements, an ETA E10.391 in mine (which is similar to the 988.432) are difficult to find. So be careful 
(though I just did a search on ebay, and found a couple for sale in Egypt for  about £200)

It is a lot to pay, but you will get a 'refurbished' watch.

Personally, I would find a proficient independent watchmaker and ask for a quote. 

17823173510733.thumb.jpg.3a8677e78dae02ddc5c6740a6ee8104d.jpg

• Like 1