How ETA (2824) is the Breitling Cal 17?

Hello friends,

A friend of mine has a Breitling Colt Ocean with the Calibre 17 / B17 which based on an Eta 2824-2. The link here speculates on the modifications that Breitling may have made: http://www.donindiano.net/watches/breitling/superocean/b17_movement

His watch doesn't run and has some water damage (extent a bit unclear). It's currently at Breitling for a quote... they said 1000 EUR and they want to swap the whole movement. 😅 I say "THIEVES!".

From the two (bad) picture I have (see below), I feel that it can easily be saved with some love and care (and Evaporust and glass fibre brush). 

But question: if I need spare parts, can I just get the ETA 2824 pieces? Or would you expect any incompatibilities (apart from external finishing maybe)?

Thanks and best regards,

C

IMG-20231023-WA0002.jpg.fb7f2c99aa6dac51ccafb56abde61ec0.jpgIMG-20231023-WA0003.jpg.d54245530bff692d32ada567b2e02892.jpg

Edited by Knebo

Looks to be a standard chronometer/top grade, the only Breitling specific part being the engraved rotor. The rotor bearing can be replaced if needed, and parts should be readily available. Swapping the whole movement isn't out of the ordinary for such a piece, but 1000 bucks seems quite high even counting they fully refinish the case. I recommend finding an independent watchmaker to service it, should be around half that price especially if leaving the case as-is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would have refered your questions over to Master Nickelsilver because I simply didn't  know the answers to such detail,  parts to it are interchangeable with lower grade ones and good to know they can be sourced.

Reversers are sure to need attention or replaced with new. 

Rgds

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

Looks to be a standard chronometer/top grade, the only Breitling specific part being the engraved rotor. The rotor bearing can be replaced if needed, and parts should be readily available. Swapping the whole movement isn't out of the ordinary for such a piece, but 1000 bucks seems quite high even counting they fully refinish the case. I recommend finding an independent watchmaker to service it, should be around half that price especially if leaving the case as-is.

Thanks for that! 

Yes indeed, I am offering my friend that I do the service. 

It's a COSC certified chronometer. The chronometer number is engraved on the trainwheel bridge (you can see it in your picture). The rotor is engraved. 

Aside from the movement carrying a chronometer certification, it is a "chronometer grade" 2824-2 and will fit any 2824-2 parts without issue.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Check this,

and I have a question, this guy thinks everyone knows what anachron hairspring is, I DON'T. 😩

https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-2824-2/

TIA

"Anachron is said to be a better performing alloy than any Nivarox incarnation which is why it's used on the Top and Chronometre grades." Link here.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:48 PM, Knebo said:

I feel that it can easily be saved with some love and care (and Evaporust and glass fibre brush)

Considering it's a luxury watch and movement, just don't go to town with your glass fibre brush. If unsure, take a very light brush under strong magnification to see what it does.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VWatchie said:

"Anachron is said to be a better performing alloy than any Nivarox incarnation which is why it's used on the Top and Chronometre grades." Link here.

Considering it's a luxury watch and movement, just don't go to town with your glass fibre brush. If unsure, take a very light brush under strong magnification to see what it does.

Thanks for the advice @VWatchie. I always appreciate you inputs.

My plan, if I get the watch, is to try EvapoRust as the primary method. The glass fibre brush only where that hasn't dissolved the rust. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Thank you @VWatchie

One more question,

How do you activate a link ( as a radio button )  

I mean  this      " LINK here

TIA

1. Find the web page you wish to link to and copy the URL (from the address field at the top of the browser)
  2. Mark the word or words in your post where you want the link (in your example the word here)
  3. Click the Link button at the top of the editor (opens the Link window)
  4. Paste the copied URL into the field with the label URL and click the Insert into post button.

Hope that answers your question!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1