1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The question is what is genuine?  Cartier is essentially known for designing and making jewellery so Cartier didn't make the movement. Cartier cases have serial numbers, there is no serial number so they didn't make the case, and their cases are held together by screws. If they employed another company to make the case , did someone else also make the dial. At best Cartier commissioned someone to make it, so its not really Cartier. There are a few examples on ebay the same as this, not sure if we can use that as evidence for it not to be fake unless we are suggesting only one fake has been made. Surely the Cartier tank is in the top list for most copied and faked watch of all time. Understandably i cant figure out why a world renowned Jeweller would put their name to this.

After a little research it seems it was the eventual selling off of the 3 branches of Cartier in the late 60s through to the  70s that initiated the cheaper models coming through. The idea of the Must de Cartier maybe something in the name that everyone must own one. Previous to this the vermeil , gold plated on silver which our example is clearly not by the worn lugs.  Its easier to fake a cheaper watch, counterfeiting in the 70's was now able to explode on this Brand.

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

This is a friendly site, every one pitches in and helps each other.  The advanced members must sometimes roll their eyes at the questions we amateurs ask but they do their best. 

I have not come across such a arrogant member as yourself on here before and hopefully I won't do again.  

With respect - I seek only to guide the OP with my prior knowledge of the brand.

That remains my aim - despite somewhat supercilious tangents within the thread.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 316lad said:

Still a bit of a rubbish movement though - ETA by this time.

Sorry to repeat my question @316lad, but I'm really curious if you could elaborate on why you describe the movement as "a bit of rubbish".

My main interest in watches is precisely their movements and so far I have a somewhat limited experience of the ETA movements and that is why I am so curious. 

Thanks! 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Sorry to repeat my question @316lad, but I'm really curious if you could elaborate on why you describe the movement as "a bit of rubbish".

My main interest in watches is precisely their movements and so far I have a somewhat limited experience of the ETA movements and that is why I am so curious. 

Thanks! 👍

My comments pertain to the aesthetics - not the trusty mechanical engineering of the works.

Interestingly - the OP's ebay watch sold for $304 - which seems reasonable considering the large amount of work that looks required to bring it to market for the demographic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 316lad said:

My comments pertain to the aesthetics - not the trusty mechanical engineering of the works.

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So you are of course entitled to your personal opinion. If may ask, what exactly in its aesthetics do you perceive to be "rubbish"? Is it the look and layout of the various bridges, wheels, screws, etc., or perhaps the way it was decorated or something else? Sorry to be going on about it, but as I said, it got me curious.