7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

As i dont know much about metal working lathes i have the question of, does precision wane as the lathe gets bigger ? Or just the ability to make smaller things ?

the precision is more of a quality factor of the particular lathe not necessarily its size.

It's commonly thought of by people that if you want to make something small you need a small tool. But small tools have disadvantages they don't have necessarily the strength or mass in other words they tend to flex and not be stable versus something big.

but a lot of it depends upon what you're doing with the lathe general turning small lathe would be fine what about some other task like gear cutting on the watchmaker's life is at a good thing or not?

image.png.7f92d0df564954c8f237ddd5813f682f.png

I swiped an image out of the book that's your standard gear cutting set up for the watchmaker's lathe. Fits all the requirements tiny gears tiny lathe but what's the problem?

7 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

In many ways the extra stability and mass of the larger machines makes higher precision easier

the basic layout of the gear cutting here whether it is a watchmaker's lathe or something much much bigger more or less looks identical or at least can look identical. The difference is the bigger lathe having way more mass the holder for the spinning gear cutting just tends to be way way more stable than something like this which can flex depending upon how much pull the belts put on it.

so a lot of it just depends upon what you're doing big tends to be more stable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

the precision is more of a quality factor of the particular lathe not necessarily its size.

It's commonly thought of by people that if you want to make something small you need a small tool. But small tools have disadvantages they don't have necessarily the strength or mass in other words they tend to flex and not be stable versus something big.

but a lot of it depends upon what you're doing with the lathe general turning small lathe would be fine what about some other task like gear cutting on the watchmaker's life is at a good thing or not?

image.png.7f92d0df564954c8f237ddd5813f682f.png

I swiped an image out of the book that's your standard gear cutting set up for the watchmaker's lathe. Fits all the requirements tiny gears tiny lathe but what's the problem?

the basic layout of the gear cutting here whether it is a watchmaker's lathe or something much much bigger more or less looks identical or at least can look identical. The difference is the bigger lathe having way more mass the holder for the spinning gear cutting just tends to be way way more stable than something like this which can flex depending upon how much pull the belts put on it.

so a lot of it just depends upon what you're doing big tends to be more stable.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help Nicklesilver and John. I can't wait to pick it up next Monday. Much learning needs to take place 🙂.

• Like 1

With a lathe of that size you need to think safety, it doesn't look to have an NVR switch, it's not worth taking risks i would fit one of these before using it.

https://www.axminstertools.com/kedu-nvr-switch-230v-1ph-e-stop-200093?utm_source=tag&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=2266&tagrid=59481565&glCountry=GB

When using it wear a t-shirt no long sleeved clothing, don't wear gloves, wear eye protection, clean the swarf away with a brush not you fingers, i don't want to sound too preachy with a lathe of that size it can do a lot of damage,  think SAFETY first.

Just think of all the tools you can make enjoy using it, i'm drooling, you got a really good buy that was a blumming bargain, you need to buy a lottery ticket with luck like that.

Edited by valleyguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, valleyguy said:

With a lathe of that size you need to think safety, it doesn't look to have an NVR switch, it's not worth taking risks i would fit one of these before using it.

https://www.axminstertools.com/kedu-nvr-switch-230v-1ph-e-stop-200093?utm_source=tag&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=2266&tagrid=59481565&glCountry=GB

When using it wear a t-shirt no long sleeved clothing, don't wear gloves, wear eye protection, clean the swarf away with a brush not you fingers, i don't want to sound too preachy with a lathe of that size it can do a lot of damage,  think SAFETY first.

Just think of all the tools you can make enjoy using it, i'm drooling, you got a really good buy that was a blumming bargain, you need to buy a lottery ticket with luck like that.

Thanks valleyguy, i fully appreciate the warning, so no you're not preachy at all, just good advice. No there is no saftey switch, just an on and off under the tailstock, not the most accessible location. I'm a 40 year in the trade joiner and builder so know how dangerous some equipment can be and boy have I seen some accidents. Escaped from major ones myself and i will admit not always down to good practices, just very conscious of where my limbs are when doing something dumb. Lathe books are next on the list, i already have one in mind. For some reason the luck comes thick and fast with anything related to watches. Its like its meant to be, you want to see my microscope, it beats the lathe bargain hands down. 

11 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

I think thats how the A3 was originally set up,driven from underneath and built onto a purpose made stand. Mine has the headstock top cover missing to set up the belt and side motor. It may well have been poached from a factory or a small engineering workshop.  Thanks for the link Tom, its given me ideas of what to look for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I think thats how the A3 was originally set up,driven from underneath and built onto a purpose made stand. Mine has the headstock top cover missing to set up the belt and side motor. It may well have been poached from a factory or a small engineering workshop.  Thanks for the link Tom, its given me ideas of what to look for.

@Neverenoughwatches Rich, take a look at the professional sewing machine motors and controllers, They should have the power to drive Helga and give you a lot of control.

Tom

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

@Neverenoughwatches Rich, take a look at the professional sewing machine motors and controllers, They should have the power to drive Helga and give you a lot of control.

Tom

Ah sorry of my misleading replies Tom  The bargain gets better, it already has a half horsepower 3 phase motor and a variable frequency drive which apparently means it can run on domestic, just a 3 pin plug, fully adjustable variable speed from 160 rpm to a potential 3250 rpm. The seller said max that speed at your own risk 😅

27 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ah sorry of my misleading replies Tom  The bargain gets better, it already has a half horsepower 3 phase motor and a variable frequency drive which apparently means it can run on domestic, just a 3 pin plug, fully adjustable variable speed from 160 rpm to a potential 3250 rpm. The seller said max that speed at your own risk 😅

Bonus! Just got to build the Gucci stand for it now 😂.

Tom

Its home sat in the workshop, and is some serious piece of kit. I think the new chuck on it is worth more than i paid for the lathe. A Boley and leinen A3 lathe. A bit of trivia from the guy i bought it from, both Boley and Leinen as we know made watch repairing equipment and lathes etc around the same time. Probably in competition with each other, now apparently according to this guy Leinen searched for and found a woman with the surname Boley, added her to his company with some role, a small silent insignificant partner in some way ? so he could use the name Boley and Leinen, crafty swine 🤣  .True ?

20230925_213852.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, rehajm said:

Where do I send the honeydo list? 🤔

Err, well not to rub it in or anything but i don't have that problem i live alone, plus the missus earns a lot more than i do, so again i dont have that problem. Did i mention i don't have that problem ? 😆.  She's getting a lathe named after her ( its now Betty ) what more does she want ? Not the most romantic gesture I've ever made i will admit.

31 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Err, well not to rub it in or anything but i don't have that problem i live alone, plus the missus earns a lot more than i do, so again i dont have that problem. Did i mention i don't have that problem ? 😆.  She's getting a lathe named after her ( its now Betty ) what more does she want ? Not the most romantic gesture I've ever made i will admit.

Haha is that your sad face rehajm or sad for my missus ?

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

A bit of trivia from the guy i bought it from, both Boley and Leinen as we know made watch repairing equipment and lathes etc around the same time. Probably in competition with each other, now apparently according to this guy Leinen searched for and found a woman with the surname Boley, added her to his company with some role, a small silent insignificant partner in some way ? so he could use the name Boley and Leinen, crafty swine 🤣  .True ?

That's the basic story as I learned it many years ago. There a good write-up on Tony's site about it.

Seems Mr. Leinen worked for G. Boley, then left to make his own bench vice (which Boley made an exact copy of). He got the Boley name when he decided to start making lathes, in direct competition with G. Boley. Apparently this was a source of embarrassment for the family, and it seems later lathes are simply marked "Leinen". Mine has Leinen cast into the headstock, but the end of the bed is marked Boley & Leinen.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

That's the basic story as I learned it many years ago. There a good write-up on Tony's site about it.

Seems Mr. Leinen worked for G. Boley, then left to make his own bench vice (which Boley made an exact copy of). He got the Boley name when he decided to start making lathes, in direct competition with G. Boley. Apparently this was a source of embarrassment for the family, and it seems later lathes are simply marked "Leinen". Mine has Leinen cast into the headstock, but the end of the bed is marked Boley & Leinen.

The one i have is similar, Leinen  cast in large lettering in the bed below the headstock then badged directly above with the name Boley and Leinen, the name Boley is much smaller than Leinen but still very obvious.  Interesting though it might help me date this one thanks Nicklesilver I'll take a look at that link.

7 minutes ago, rehajm said:

Haha- I’m upset I’m not offloading my project list because someone’s giddy about a new toy, not the latter. I just want everyone to be happy 🫶🏼

Lol I'm quietly confident my list is longer than yours 😁. So unless you're proposing to me anytime soon, my missus comes first, sorry 😆

• 1 month later...

Hi Neverenough

i don’t know if you know but if you’re having trouble finding collets to suit your new lathe but depending upon how things fit the spindle you may be able to get or certainly make an ER collet chuck for it and get some good quality ER collets, I have made one for my Pultra 17/70 although at the Birmingham watch & clock fair I purchased a very complete Pultra P type 10mm lathe  it takes the same collets and accessories as the 17/70 but has a smaller foot print and as my workshop is very small I am going to use it , just in the process of restoring it and it was nice to find that all serial numbers match.

i have added a picture of the collet chuck practice pieces I made just to give you an idea 

Dell

IMG_1104.jpeg.b463d273172886c321795e86722db693.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg.338800b721a8c6bacf0bed209f9a3527.jpeg

IMG_2080.jpeg.277d66c6f97a69d1c3b55d3e2f1f12d3.jpegIMG_2079.jpeg.01fad967a32ce38dc6ad4543be07aee4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dell said:

Hi Neverenough

i don’t know if you know but if you’re having trouble finding collets to suit your new lathe but depending upon how things fit the spindle you may be able to get or certainly make an ER collet chuck for it and get some good quality ER collets, I have made one for my Pultra 17/70 although at the Birmingham watch & clock fair I purchased a very complete Pultra P type 10mm lathe  it takes the same collets and accessories as the 17/70 but has a smaller foot print and as my workshop is very small I am going to use it , just in the process of restoring it and it was nice to find that all serial numbers match.

i have added a picture of the collet chuck practice pieces I made just to give you an idea 

Dell

IMG_1104.jpeg.b463d273172886c321795e86722db693.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg.338800b721a8c6bacf0bed209f9a3527.jpeg

IMG_2080.jpeg.277d66c6f97a69d1c3b55d3e2f1f12d3.jpegIMG_2079.jpeg.01fad967a32ce38dc6ad4543be07aee4.jpeg

Thats interesting thanks Dell. The lathe  still doesn't have a permanent home yet, the workshop needs reorganising, but this is something i will look into when I'm to have it working. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 5:09 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thats interesting thanks Dell. The lathe  still doesn't have a permanent home yet, the workshop needs reorganising, but this is something i will look into when I'm to have it working. 

This is what I mentioned this is a 10 mm to ER11 I made for my Pultra.

IMG_2200.thumb.jpeg.c86da18fd778a6ab75ebbc33e3a527ce.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dell said:

This is what I mentioned this is a 10 mm to ER11 I made for my Pultra.

IMG_2200.thumb.jpeg.c86da18fd778a6ab75ebbc33e3a527ce.jpeg

Thanks Dell funny you should post this i was only looking at those yesterday. Its the adapter i would need and then a drawbar. My lathe takes 15 mm collets, i found some 23mm collets for a Leinen 3 days ago so hopefully some will turn up eventually . I wondered if there are ER collets that fit to the headstock.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thanks Dell funny you should post this i was only looking at those yesterday. Its the adapter i would need and then a drawbar. My lathe takes 15 mm collets, i found some 23mm collets for a Leinen 3 days ago so hopefully some will turn up eventually . I wondered if there are ER collets that fit to the headstock.

I seem to remember that lathes spindle has a thread if so then you could get or make a backplate and get an ER chuck to fix to backplate like I have on my Myford although it’s larger than your lathe , at the very least it would get you going while you look for collets.

Dell

IMG_2046.thumb.jpeg.26ff61a8219bc2a8ff7b9c73829a1aff.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CYCLOPS said:

you should repivot clock wheels and cut wheel teeth with that animal, nice lathe and what a deal.....

Pleased you like it, still haven't tried it yet so much to learn about it, but it was such a good buy i couldn't ignore it. Hopefully i will have a good change around in the house this year. The bigger watchroom is looming but so much to do before that can happen.