My Star Lathe just arrived by courier...

I was talking to the watchmaker in town a couple of days ago, he's pretty much given up on watches now except for changing batteries etc (third generation) and am trying to coax him into selling me some of his used equipment that he and his dad and grandad had, all squirreled away in his store room. Not sure I'll get any but off to bother him again today. He did tell me one thing I found interesting and maybe it's old hat to you all, but he was telling me that he has a lathe that runs off a kind of bow (as in bow and arrow), that was his grandfathers. He went on to explain that is why watches like Patek are so expensive as they are/were made using equipment like that - any truth to the story?

3 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

The Perkins book is great. Another good one is The Watchmaker and his Lathe by Hans Jendritzki.

Thanks I'll take a look at that one too. Lots to research

23 minutes ago, Juleswatch said:

"The watchmakers lathe and how to use it" by Archie Perkins - pricey so hopefully a nice book, has anybody seen it or have it, recommend it or not?

Anything that Archie Perkins Does is going to be outstanding. Then I have a copy and it is it very good book.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Juleswatch said:

arrow

Unfortunately it does not come with the arrows which is very sad as they might be useful at some point in time.

25 minutes ago, Juleswatch said:

He went on to explain that is why watches like Patek are so expensive as they are/were made using equipment like that - any truth to the story?

At one time yes but I think you'll find today like most watch companies they embrace technology. But more than likely they still hand finish.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Juleswatch said:

he has a lathe that runs off a kind of bow (as in bow and arrow), that was his grandfathers.

A jacot tool can be run this way. Clever watchmakers have upgraded the bow by pinning one of those retractable zip cord thingies for keys and fishing nippers to the bench...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rehajm said:

A jacot tool can be run this way. Clever watchmakers have upgraded the bow by pinning one of those retractable zip cord thingies for keys and fishing nippers to the bench...

Yes you mean the lazy watchmakers that don't embrace The traditional bow. Almost as bad as people using electric motors.

Actually I think you'll find that there were several tools that used a bow I think the earlier version of a lathe whether turning between centers that can use a bow or be driven by other methods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

Yes you mean the lazy watchmakers that don't embrace The traditional bow. Almost as bad as people using electric motors.

Actually I think you'll find that there were several tools that used a bow I think the earlier version of a lathe whether turning between centers that can use a bow or be driven by other methods.

The idea of using a bow to power a turning device goes back thousands of years.  Bodger's spindle lathes use a foot activated bow to turn chair spindles, simple devices built in forests and woods centuries before watchmaking. 

Screenshot_20230914-191840_Google.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The idea of using a bow to power a turning device goes back thousands of years.  Bodger's spindle lathes use a foot activated bow to turn chair spindles, simple devices built in forests and woods centuries before watchmaking. 

Screenshot_20230914-191840_Google.jpg

Strange how we use bodge for poor workmanship but bodgers were skilled. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Strange how we use bodge for poor workmanship but bodgers were skilled. 

I asked that same question 30 years ago. The bodgers of old were highly skilled chair makers. The story goes that a group entered the woods with the view of spending days there making their furniture from the trees. Each man had his own skill and made a seperate part of the chair, a seat, spindles for the back and legs, a spindle bender, an assembler, maybe a carver. No one man completed the chair, hence a bodger doesn't complete the work . 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Juleswatch said:

Just purchased my copy of "The watchmakers lathe and how to use it" by Archie Perkins this afternoon - hopefully I want bodge as much up after reading it...

Also my staking tool set came so - I'm also set with activities for the weekend...

IMG_2568.jpg

That's not a cheap book Jules, well done with the staking set, you are certainly on a roll with the tool collecting. 

• Like 1

Seems like just when I think I have enough tools, I realize I need just one more then just one more! Looking forward to the book, not cheap but I've heard good reviews, might as well try to start out right. Next up a new micrometer... there's no end in sight except on my bank balance...

1 hour ago, Juleswatch said:

Seems like just when I think I have enough tools, I realize I need just one more then just one more! Looking forward to the book, not cheap but I've heard good reviews, might as well try to start out right. Next up a new micrometer... there's no end in sight except on my bank balance...

Haha Jules. We are all very sorry, we should have warned you. The tools, the watches , more of the tools and more of the watches😁. No matter how old you are or how long you stick with it, we are all in this together to support each other,comfort each other when we buy poorly , hold each others hand when things get tough, advise and pat on the back when we do good. Oh and to help spend each others hard earned dosh 😅, that is what we are actually here for, the rest of it was just complete bullshit 🤣

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha Jules. We are all very sorry, we should have warned you. The tools, the watches , more of the tools and more of the watches😁. No matter how old you are or how long you stick with it, we are all in this together to support each other,comfort each other when we buy poorly , hold each others hand when things get tough, advise and pat on the back when we do good. Oh and to help spend each others hard earned dosh 😅, that is what we are actually here for, the rest of it was just complete bullshit 🤣

Watches? Hang on a minute, I thought this was the internet offshoot of tools anonymous!

Tom

• Haha 1