Staking set attachment help.

Hiya all watch people, i hope everyone is well. After a little advice please on a staking set that i would like to buy. It has some kind of micrometer attachment but not sure if its a part of the set. Looks like a handle may fit the top but i cant figure out how it connects to the staking tool. The seller isn't sure how it wofks butis sending me some detailed photos of it. 

Screenshot_20230908-090652_eBay.jpg

The set has a rather strange assortment of punches. For instance the things with the plastic on top they are far too new for this set. Seeing as how they all have Springs on them they almost look like something for putting hands-on?. Then it looks like the table itself the discoloration looks like rust damage.

Then usually things like the micrometer head are used for mistaking sets that are used to push jewels in but this one does not have the lever for that. Perhaps some somebody opened up the instructions it might tell but I have a suspicion that does not come with the set.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Beautiful it is. Can't afford it. But. Beautiful it is

Seems to be two in one 

Staking set and press set?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Repair-Tool-Watch-Case-Closer-Set-Kit-With-48pcs-Dies-Jewelling-Tool-/134159172094

The seller got back to me after contacting his watchmaker, the micrometer apparently is not part of the set and probably belongs as you say Ross to a combined staking and jewelling tool. The Horia clone you've linked, i have one as do a few other members. For the price they are ok but the pushers and anvils do need a little dressing up to improve their mating face finish. But all in all a fair tool for the price i consider after using it a few times. I've finally joined the seitz jewelling tool club after picking this up for a little over 60 quid, needs the accessories topping up which i hope to make and also has the reaming tool including half a dozen reamers but these are easy to aquire from cousins.  So keep looking Ross something will turn up. I will keep you in mind next time i spot a potential bargain.

16941677347407948445640674068063.jpg

14 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

The set has a rather strange assortment of punches. For instance the things with the plastic on top they are far too new for this set. Seeing as how they all have Springs on them they almost look like something for putting hands-on?. Then it looks like the table itself the discoloration looks like rust damage.

Then usually things like the micrometer head are used for mistaking sets that are used to push jewels in but this one does not have the lever for that. Perhaps some somebody opened up the instructions it might tell but I have a suspicion that does not come with the set.

Thanks john. My suspicion regarding the micrometer and now confirmed by the seller. I've seen these pushers as well in seperate sets for sale they are spring loaded and the seller does show them in the tool. For some reason i am think staff removing tools but maybe not. Maybe something like this.

16941681410856940894623196518355.jpg

Screenshot_20230908-111656_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

Hi NEW if you read De Carles books he uses a favourite combination set which is dual purpose. Staking / jeweling  but that has a lever on the head,  the top unscrews and allows for inter changing of heads.  I guess not made any more  what with staking sets and jeweling tools made separately  and readily available.  Looks like a nice piece , depends on the price.

• Like 1

I second the theory the spring loaded pieces are for setting hands. Different colors for different diameters, yes?

…and yesterday I was emailed about a full set of Seitz pushers in their own case for auction. Ends in 5 days but US…I’ve never seen just the bits with their own case…

Edited by rehajm

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thanks john. My suspicion regarding the micrometer and now confirmed by the seller. I've seen these pushers as well in seperate sets for sale they are spring loaded and the seller does show them in the tool. For some reason i am think staff removing tools but maybe not. Maybe something like this.

16941681410856940894623196518355.jpg

This is for removing balance staffs. I use one myself.

51 minutes ago, Jon said:

This is for removing balance staffs. I use one myself.

Thanks Jon the one on the pink background belongs to me already, yes for removing staffs though i haven't tried it yet. Odd kind of short name i forget beginning with U. I wondered if the coloured ball top spindles were also for staff removal.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi NEW if you read De Carles books he uses a favourite combination set which is dual purpose. Staking / jeweling  but that has a lever on the head,  the top unscrews and allows for inter changing of heads.  I guess not made any more  what with staking sets and jeweling tools made separately  and readily available.  Looks like a nice piece , depends on the price.

Hey WW . Still not sure if this extra head belongs to the set, the seller seems to think not and is away unable to try fitting it for me. The set does look in fair order with a few extra stumps that i dont have with my Star set. The six plastic topped spindles also look interesting. Its up for 245 or offers, after talking with the seller he said he will discount. Worth an ask as I've bought from him numerous times before. I would like another staking set, i need to keep up with the jewelling tools i have which now numbers 3 🙂. Always good to talk with you WW, attaching a real name to your advice seems worth me asking.

1 hour ago, rehajm said:

I second the theory the spring loaded pieces are for setting hands. Different colors for different diameters, yes?

…and yesterday I was emailed about a full set of Seitz pushers in their own case for auction. Ends in 5 days but US…I’ve never seen just the bits with their own case…

Could well be for hand fitting considering they are spring loaded.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

Got one.  So pleased. 

Never. Did you get the set? The micrometre attachment looked fascinating.  Do you know if it was specific for that make of Staking set, or is it generic? 

Hi Ross, no i ended up with a combination jewelling and staking set that had a full set of reamers and unusual stakes that i didnt have with my Star set. The micrometer wasn't a part of that set that i originally posted.  The micrometer is for use with a combo tool which would have a lever for pressing in. This is the tool i eventually bought .

Screenshot_20230915-175627_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230915-223625_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230915-101136_eBay.jpg

Looking at this staking set to upgrade my Star, the sub base is interesting. To allow use of the stakes from underneath but what is the adjustment dial for ? To adjust the height of the stakes ? Anyone , I think @nickelsilver has a large Star staking set.

Screenshot_20231001-132520_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231001-133726_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231001-133858_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Never

Lovely set. 

It has given me the idea to make a base out of wood to allow extra height. Can't use the stakes as stumps as they are a bigger size to the largest hole in the plate. 

I've seen a micrometre on ebay. A purchase next year me thinks. Hopefully by then I'll be further into the hobby and able to do such work as jewel setting. Good this hobby innit?

• Like 1

Never

Lovely set. 

It has given me the idea to make a base out of wood to allow extra height. Can't use the stakes as stumps as they are a bigger size to the largest hole in the plate.

I had the same idea of a wooden base, some makes do have bases made from wood. A hole running through the base with a steel sole for the bottom for the top end of the stakes to sit on sounds like a feasible solution.  What diameter are the stakes and does the tool base have a hole running through it that the stakes fit into. Post a picture of the underside of the tool.

Never.

As requested. Poor quality photographs. I've made a fitting of one of the stakes. But you will get the idea. I'll use a piece of 2"x4" to make the block base. 

IMG_20231001_160408a.jpg

IMG_20231001_160429a.jpg

IMG_20231001_160455a.jpg

IMG_20230930_155528.jpg

Is this a hole running through the base Ross that the stakes will fit through. Ah i think i can just see a stake popping through the anvil on the 3rd picture. It the stakes wont fit fully through, you could take the anvil off.

Screenshot_20231001-174752_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Thanks 1